Re: Charles de Lint

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 26, 2007
      great minds, Berni-- <grin>

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Berni Phillips" <bernip@...> wrote:

      > From: "Cathy Akers-Jordan" <melisande@...>
      > >
      > > A friend of mine recently recommended Moonheart by Charles de Lint. I
      > > haven't read any of his books so I looked at his web site and a few
      > > Amazon review; both describe his work and mythic and influential.
      > >
      > > What do you all think?
      >
      > I find de Lint a very enjoyable read. I've read a bunch of his
      stuff. If
      > you like Celtic fiddlers, you'll like de Lint. I personally
      consider them
      > more as "comfort books" than great literature, but his stuff often
      ends up
      > on the MFA short list. MOONHEART is a good place to start.
      >
      > Berni

    • Lisa Padol
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
        I liked Moonheart, though I had a nit-pick problem with Spiritwalk (a
        character described as being taller than another character in the first
        is described as being almost as tall in the second).

        Jack the Giant Killer and Drink Down the Moon are popcorn reads, but
        darned fine popcorn. When I read them, I thought, "Ah, this is what
        White Wolf was trying to achieve with its [1st and 2nd edition]
        roleplaying game _Changeling_. White Wolf didn't succeed."

        I had some nits with Trader, but overall liked it. I really liked
        Someplace to Be Flying, and I think that's my favorite of de Lint's to
        date.

        I didn't like Forests of the Heart as much, but there was one lovely
        subtle bit I really liked.

        I enjoyed Mulengro, but don't remember a heck of a lot of details.

        I mostly enjoyed Memory and Dream, but thought that the rhetoric
        demanded a different ending, even though de Lint played absolutely fair
        and foreshadowed a key point.

        A lot of de Lint's stuff is set in the same imaginary town, and for me,
        this starts to build a problem, as too much magical weird stuff goes on
        after a while. I really hated Spirits in the Wires, for just that
        reason.

        His short fiction leaves me dissatisfied most of the time. I'm not sure
        why.

        I did not care for The Onion Girl, but I think if I'd read it without
        having read several other de Lint books with the same characters first,
        I'd have liked it better.

        I'm mixed about Widdershins. I don't like a lot of the answers de Lint
        comes up with, but he's tackling good questions, complex ones.

        -Lisa

      • MrHaggard
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
          Lisa,

          Thanks for the review some of these titles I've never heard of.

          Mrhaggard

          _______________
          > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
          updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

        • Jack
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
            We did an entire edition on Charles de Lint

            greenmanreview.com/oneoffs/charlesdelint.html
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
              I liked Moonheart, though I had a nit-pick problem with Spiritwalk (a
              character described as being taller than another character in the first
              is described as being almost as tall in the second).

              Jack the Giant Killer and Drink Down the Moon are popcorn reads, but
              darned fine popcorn. When I read them, I thought, "Ah, this is what
              White Wolf was trying to achieve with its [1st and 2nd edition]
              roleplaying game _Changeling_. White Wolf didn't succeed."

              I had some nits with Trader, but overall liked it. I really liked
              Someplace to Be Flying, and I think that's my favorite of de Lint's to
              date.

              <<

              I think De Lint's best book by far is _The Little Country_, although (perhaps because it's untypically set in Cornwall rather than in his more familiar Newford setting) it isn't as well known as some of his others. _Someplace to Be Flying_ would be my second favourite. _Moonheart_ is a relatively early work which initially gained him a lot of renown but which (in my opinion) has paled in comparison with some of his later achievements.
              ?? Whether or not you really enjoy the Newford novels depends on whether you like the kind of Bohemian, folk-music-club social set that is his consistent focus. I find I've gotten a little tired of these people over the years, but others may have a different reaction.
              Alexei

              RECENT ACTIVITY

              1

              New Members

              Visit Your Group

              Yahoo! News

              Get it all here

              Breaking news to

              entertainment news

              Drive Traffic

              Sponsored Search

              can help increase

              your site traffic.

              Cat Groups

              on Yahoo! Groups

              discuss everything

              related to cats.

              .

            • Jack
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
                >Whether or not you really enjoy the Newford novels depends on whether you like the kind of Bohemian, folk-music-club social set that is his consistent focus. I find I've gotten a little tired of these people over the years, but others may have a different reaction.

                Errr... Some of the Newford novels really aren't at all about the 'Bohemian, folk-music-club social set', i.e. Forests of the Heart which is brilliant in both its use of multiple mythologies and its story.
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
                  At 03:40 PM 9/27/2007 -0400, alexeik@... wrote:

                  >I think De Lint's best book by far is _The Little Country_

                  As far as my de Lint experience goes I would certainly agree. It's a
                  subtle book with two interweaving stories that goes beyond pushing the
                  usual de Lint buttons, though it does that too.
                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 27, 2007
                    As others have said, JACK THE GIANT KILLER is pleasant enough fluff,
                    one of the best in the (admittedly uneven) Windling 'Fairy Tales'
                    series. The sequel, DRINK DOWN THE MOON, is not quite as good but
                    still readable. Stay away from GREENMANTLE, which is a real dud. I
                    wasn't able to make myself read THE LITTLE COUNTRY; perhaps I shd
                    give it another try.
                    Has anyone read his newest book, LITTLE (GRRL) LOST?
                    --JDR
                  • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 28, 2007
                      Thank you to everyone who posted about Charles de Lint! Now I have a
                      few titles to look for. :)

                      Cathy
                    • alexeik@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 29, 2007
                        Errr... Some of the Newford novels really aren't at all about the 'Bohemian, folk-music-club social set', i.e. Forests of the Heart which is brilliant in both its use of multiple mythologies and its story.

                        _._,___

                        <<
                        Just to show how individual reactions can vary, even though I liked some aspects of the story, I wasn't at all impressed with its "use of multiple mythologies". I felt it tended to reduce all of them to a rather shallow, New Agey common denominator. I was also annoyed by the facile ethnic stereotyping. In my opinion, when De Lint tries to cover so many disparate themes at once he loses his focus, and the story turns out much weaker than one could expect. I far preferred _Someplace to Be Flying_, where the "multiple mythologies" are limited to contrasting Old World and New World versions of the same archetypes (eg, Coyote vs. Reynard the Fox), which gives space to explore them at far greater depth.
                        Alexei

                      • Diane Joy Baker