Stephen R. Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle

  • Cole Matson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2007
      Anybody read Stephen R. Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle (and possibly the
      following book, Avalon)? I just finished Avalon tonight, after finishing the
      official Pendragon Cycle a few days ago. I thought they were beautiful and
      heart-stirring re-tellings of the story of Arthur, and that adding Avalon
      (which is set, not in the Dark Ages, but in today's world) was a brilliant
      idea. Virtues like courage, honor, and faith can seem relatively harmless to
      the general public when tucked away in a children's fantasy story, or even
      in one meant for adults. But when an author seriously and strongly asserts
      their relevance in a world of celebrity rehab, political scandals, and "god
      is not great" on the New York Times Bestseller List, people are forced to
      realize they must make a choice about whether or not to abide by these
      virtues. (Not to say that books dealing with serious moral themes in a clear
      other-world, like Lord of the Rings, are inferior - not at all. Just that we
      need both.) From the little I've read of Charles Williams, it seems he was
      doing something similiar - bringing the spiritual and the supernatural into
      real consideration in the modern world.

      So, anyone else like Lawhead?

      Cole

    • dbaker021@cinci.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2007
        Lawhead is a terriffic writer. I've read some of these, though I need to finish the Pendragon cycle.

      • Elizabeth Hardy
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2007
          I am very fond of Lawhead. His Paradise War series has moments in it that have really made an impression on my consciousness. Although the series, like the Arthur books, is quite violent (lots of Celtic warfare), it too celebrates positive themes and carries on the tradition of the Mythpoeics. He also is very reminscient of my beloved Edmund Spenser in his storiy-telling. His Byzantium is wonderful, too. I admire his excellent research, memorable characters, and haunting imagery. I pass his name along every chance I get!

        • Matt Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2007
            And he grew up ritght here in Kearney, Ne. where I found myself living a couple of years ago. I keep asking myself how it happened.

            He returned here a couple of years ago to be the graduation speaker at University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK). HIs mom and other relatives still live in town.

            Matt Williams

          • Barbara Shulla
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2007
              Great Writer. I just finished Hood.