New (2007) T. Shippey book on JRRT: Roots and Branches

  • hen8wen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2007
      Anyone in a position to share the table of contents for Tom Shippey's
      recent (2007) publication, Roots and Branches (Walking Tree Publishers)?
      Am tempted to order it from an online vendor, but at $24.20 for a pb
      I'd like to know what I'm getting!

      thanks,
      Glenn
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2007
        I don't have a full TOC, but there will be a review in the next
        Mythlore. The gist of the review is that some of the pieces are hard to
        get, some are expanded, some are new, but disappointingly, some
        hard-to-find essays are not included.

        A few essay titles gleaned from the review:

        Tolkien and the Beowulf-Poet (new)

        Tolkien and the Gawain-Poet (reprint)

        The Problem of the Rings: Tolkien and Wagner (new)

        Fighting the Long Defeat: Philology in Tolkien's Life and Fiction (new)

        A Fund of Wise Sayings: Proverbiality in Tolkien (new)

        Tolkien and Iceland: The Philology of Envy (previously only available
        online)

        Allegory Vs. Bounce: (Half of) an Exchange on Smith of Wootton Major
        ((half of) a reprint)

        Grimm, Grudtvig, Tolkien: nationalism and the Invention of Mythologies
        (reprint)

        Tolkien's Academic Reputation Now (reprint)

        Tolkien and "The Homecoming of Beohrtnoth" (reprint)

        Janet Brennan Croft

        Associate Professor
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 104NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@...
        http://libraries.ou.edu/

        Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
        http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html

        "Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape
        meets the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2007
          > Anyone in a position to share the table of contents for Tom Shippey's
          > recent (2007) publication, Roots and Branches (Walking Tree
          > Publishers)? Am tempted to order it from an online vendor, but at
          > $24.20 for a pb I'd like to know what I'm getting!

          Here's the full TOC:

          The Roots: Tolkien and his Predecessors

          1. Tolkien and the Beowulf-poet
          2. Tolkien and the Appeal of the Pagan: Edda and Kalevala
          3. Tolkien and the West Midlands: The Roots of Romance
          4. Tolkien and the Gawain-poet
          5. Grimm, Grundtvig, Tolkien: Nationalisms and the Invention of Mythologies
          6. The Problem of the Rings: Tolkien and Wagner
          7. Goths and Huns: The Rediscovery of Northern Cultures in the Nineteenth Century

          Heartwood: Tolkien and Scholarship

          8. Fighting the Long Defeat: Philology in Tolkien�s Life and Fiction
          9. History in Words: Tolkien�s Ruling Passion
          10. A Look at Exodus and Finn and Hengest
          11. Tolkien and Iceland: The Philology of Envy
          12. Tolkien�s Academic Reputation Now

          The Trunk: The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion

          13. Light-elves, Dark-elves, and Others: Tolkien�s Elvish Problem
          14. Indexing and Poetry in The Lord of the Rings
          15. Orcs, Wraiths, Wights: Tolkien�s Images of Evil
          16. Heroes and Heroism: Tolkien�s Problems, Tolkien�s Solutions
          17. Noblesse Oblige: Images of Class in Tolkien
          18. �A Fund of Wise Sayings�: Proverbiality in Tolkien

          Twigs and Branches: Minor Works by Tolkien

          19. Tolkien and �The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth�
          20. The Versions of �The Hoard�
          21. Allegory versus Bounce: (Half of) an Exchange on Smith of Wootton Major
          22. Blunt Belligerence: Tolkien Mr. Bliss
          23. Another Road to Middle-earth: Jackson�s Movie Trilogy