Re: TLS review of _The Company They Keep_

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 18, 2007
      "P.S. I'm not the seller, or in any way connected."

      Of course not! you're not in San Dimas, California (hmmm, I wonder who
      it is...).

      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

      > TLS, sure, that nice and all; but you KNOW a book has hit the big
      > time when it hits eBay:
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160158431346
      >
      > ;)
      >
      > Carl
      >
      > P.S. I'm not the seller, or in any way connected.

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 19, 2007
        >> "P.S. I'm not the seller, or in any way connected."

        > Of course not! you're not in San Dimas, California (hmmm,
        > I wonder who it is...).

        San Dimas?! Maybe it's Ted Logan and Bill S. Preston, Esq., hahae. Okay, not mythopoeic, but I couldn't resist! :)

        Jason
      • Lynn Maudlin
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 19, 2007
          Ooooh, I completely forgot the Bill & Ted tie-in!!! <grin>

          -- Lynn --

          > >> "P.S. I'm not the seller, or in any way connected."
          >
          > > Of course not! you're not in San Dimas, California (hmmm,
          > > I wonder who it is...).
          >
          > San Dimas?! Maybe it's Ted Logan and Bill S. Preston, Esq., hahae.
          Okay, not mythopoeic, but I couldn't resist! :)

          > Jason

        • Anthony and Jessica
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 25, 2007
            Definately hit the big time with that Carl! :-)
            So its not TLS but we have just opened our Online Review of Books over
            at our site www.herenistarion.org and The Company They Keep and
            Tolkien and Shakespeare are featured.
            Up next Parma Eldalamberon 16&17, The History of the Hobbit vols 1&2
            ;-)

            Let me know what ya'll think...

            Anthony

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

            > TLS, sure, that nice and all; but you KNOW a book has hit the big
            > time when it hits eBay:
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160158431346
            >
            > ;)
            >
            > Carl
            >
            > P.S. I'm not the seller, or in any way connected.

          • Merlin DeTardo
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 27, 2007
              ---"Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:
              << From J.R.R. Tolkien, _LotR_, unused epilogue: "But even as he did
              so, he heard suddenly . . . the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the
              shores of Middle-earth."
              From J.R.R. Tolkien, _LotR_, "The Grey Havens": "There still he stood
              far into the night, hearing only the sigh and murmur of the waves on
              the shores of Middle-earth, and the sound of them sank deep into his
              heart."
              From Matthew Arnold, "Dover Beach": "Listen! you hear the grating
              roar / Of pebbles which the waves draw back, and fling / At their
              return, up the high strand" >>

              Belatedly: something similar yet not, from Tolkien's poem, "Progress
              in Bimble Town":

              "sometimes late, when motor-bikes
              are not passing with a screech,
              one hears faintly (if one likes)
              the sea still at it on the beach.
              at what? At churning orange-rind,
              piling up banana-skins,
              gnawing paper, trying to grind
              a broth of bottles, packets, tins"

              (_The Annotated Hobbit_, Revised Ed., p. 254)

              And that strikes another chord: "Gnaws iron, bites steel; / grinds
              hard stones to meal"?

              -Merlin DeTardo