History of the Hobbit vols. 1&2

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18 5:53 PM
      Greetings
      Upon arrival back home today Jessica and I recieved a box containing
      numerous volumes of John Rateliff's History of the Hobbit, first
      off--THANK YOU JOHN. Ok with that said I must say that these were
      shipped to us from Houghton Mifflin as part of review copies and to
      giveaway as prizes at our picnic on Saturday 9/22(and we know what
      that date is, plus its one day after the 70th Anniversary of the
      publication of The Hobbit.
      It is unfortunate that the listing I was sent by Houghton Mifflin on
      their site does not contain the cover art :-(
      http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/catalog/titledetail.cfm?titleNumber=1022596
      http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/catalog/titledetail.cfm?titleNumber=1022612
      but here your can see them in mini detail
      http://www.theonering.net/index.shtml, nonetheless upon seeing and
      opening the volumes, 1st called Mr. Baggins, the 2nd--Return to Bag
      End--each contains an image of Tolkien's manuscript maps or runic
      pages from The Hobbit, full color details of Tolkien's illustrations
      and paintings follow in the center of each book---my mind and spirit
      were returned to when my parents gave me a copy of The Hobbit at 8 yrs
      of age, and how I was in awe and joy at the mere holding of it. Each
      informative volume traces the writing journey Tolkien was upon in
      bringing The Hobbit to fruition.
      But all of this you all may know, I just wished to share my excitement
      of recieving these volumes, how I am eager to delve their pages and
      will indeed share with you all a review as it formulates upon the
      reading of them.--and to say thank you again and applaud his efforts
      to John

      Best,
      Anthony