The Inklings in NYC: A 5 week Discussion Series

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
      The Inklings: A Discussion of the Literary and Theological Perspectives
      of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Owen Barfield

      Mondays, October 15, 22, 29, November 5, 12
      The Church of Saint Luke in the Fields
      487 Hudson Street
      Greenwich Village, New York City
      7-8:30pm Laughlin Hall

      C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Owen Barfield formed the
      nucleus of an informal literary society that flourished at the University
      of Oxford during the 1930s and ‘40s. Because of their shared interest in
      the weaving of Christian themes into works of fiction and poetry
      (particularly that with an emphasis on fantasy and myth), the Inklingsâ€"and
      their literary creationsâ€"were widely considered part of a magical world
      that continues to influence contemporary readers. The achievements of
      these four Inklings, as well as the work of some of their contemporaries,
      will be discussed.

      October 15 Inklings Series Introductory Talk

      Speaker: Anthony S Burdge

      Shards of Creativity: The Inklings, Subcreation and the Evolution of Human
      Consciousness (working title)

      Mr. Burdge is the Co-Chair of Heren Istarion: The Northeast Tolkien
      Society.

      October 22 J. R. R. Tolkien

      Speaker: Jessica Burke

      Ms. Burke is the Co-Chair of Heren Istarion: The Northeast Tolkien
      Society.

      October 29 Owen Barfield

      Speaker: The Rev. Dr. Christopher King

      November 5 Charles Williams

      Speaker: Kenneth E. Dupuy, M.A.

      Mr. Dupuy is Professor of Philosophy for Fordham College of Liberal
      Studies at Fordham University.

      November 12 C. S. Lewis

      Speaker: Kenneth E. Dupuy, M.A.

      DIRECTIONS:
      The Church of Saint Luke in the Fields is located at 487 Hudson Street, in
      Greenwich Village, New York City, at the intersection of Hudson Street and
      Grove Street.

      Parking Lot Information: Parking is available in the Church lot on Barrow
      Street between Hudson and Greenwich from 8 am until 1 pm. To map driving
      directions click here.

      By Subway: Take the 1 to the Christopher Street station, the 2 or 3 to the
      14th Street station, or the A, C, E, B, F or D to the West 4th Street
      station.

      >From Christopher street: Walk west on Christopher Street, away from
      Sheridan Square, towards the Hudson River. At Hudson Street, make a left.
      The church is one block to your left, on the west side of the street.

      >From 14th Street: Walk south on 7th Avenue to West 11th Street. Turn
      right
      on West 11th to Hudson. Turn left on Hudson and walk to Grove Street. The
      church is on the west side of the street.

      >From West 4th Street: Leave the station at the south (West 3rd Street)
      exit. Walk south on Sixth Avenue to Bleecker Street. Turn Right. Follow
      Bleecker across Seventh Avenue. At Grove Street, turn left. Follow Grove
      to Hudson Street. The church is across the street.
      Use HopStop.com for subway and walking directions from your location by
      clicking here.

      By PATH: Take the PATH to the Christopher Street station. Turn left upon
      exiting the station at Christopher Street, and make a right on Hudson
      Street. The church is one block on the right.
    • Linda DeMars
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
        Any chance of getting a copy of these talks?

        Linda DeMars

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
          Hey there,
          I inquired with the organizers if they intended to publish them and
          they said they were not, I know for ours, Jessica and myself, we will
          see if anyone is interested in them or put them in our own journal,
          for the rest of them I will keep mythsoc list updated as I find out
          from the rest of the presenters what they intend on doing with them.

          Anthony

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
            I would appreciate that. Atlanta, Georgia to New York is sort of far to go
            for an evening's lecture, however fascinating it may be.

            Linda