Re: blog re. Tolkien movies

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2007
      Nice, chewy posts from the Northeast! Thank you both--

      I also am saddened by the blurring of descriptions: discussion,
      argument, bashing - they are three different things (yes, they may
      exist on a continuum - but the fact that you can turn up music in your
      headphones so loud as to permanently deafen yourself hasn't stopped
      anyone from using iPods, etc. - we are somehow able to recognize the
      difference between a safe and reasonable sound level and a painful,
      destructive one).

      The culture is very big on this, especially in the last 20-30 years or
      so (it's harder to have good perspective in my pre-adult days); the
      word "awesome" now means "really good" and "tolerance" now means
      "approval."

      Much of the political and media world operate by trying to shut down
      dissent or discussion. Yes, it is the Franchisation of Tolkien and if
      he were not in heaven focusing on the glory of God, he'd be ticked
      off; sadly it is a machine he set in motion himself by selling the
      film rights. I have to trust that the money he received made his life
      more pleasant and enjoyable and take comfort in the fact that he
      himself hasn't had to watch this happen (I can just see Boyens and
      Jackson mudslinging with the man himself, were he still living:
      "Authors are not the best judge of adaptations! He understands books,
      not movies," etc.).

      I sincerely hope that people will endeavor to engage as mature humans
      and not feces-flinging apes; by and large I believe we have (I can't
      attest to earlier go-rounds).

      Jessie, I loved the example below:

      > Franchise is this machine & to put Frodo in that same category is
      > like saying that since McDonald's has sold so well, has seeped into
      > the many corners of our doomed little planet, and is frequented by
      > the vast legion of cavernous maws that are what our race has become,
      > then the Golden Arches should be deemed America's #1 Health Food.
      > That popularity equates goodness, and goodness signifies health.

      yikes!!!

      -- Lynn --