Re: Silmarillion

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2007
      On 7 Sep 2007 10:21:03 -0000, David Bratman wrote:

      > My own favorite? Smith of Wootton Major. It's the essence of what makes
      > Tolkien different from run of the mill fantasists, the perfect distillation
      > of the distinction between Elfland and Poughkeepsie (in the terms of Le
      > Guin, another writer who really gets it).

      I don't know if I would say the Silmarillion is my favorite but I did
      like it very much. I really liked the story of Beren and Luthien. I
      was in high school at the time I read it and most of the romance
      literature that was accessible to me was very juvenile. This was a
      story of love that resonated with me. I think the only other "love"
      story that interested me at that time (although very different in
      nature!) was Wuthering Heights. The two stories seemed to bookend the
      different aspects of love that could be very noble or very
      destructive, while many of the "age-appropriate" stories were just
      about a very bland type of love that I wasn't really interested in.

      -kt
    • Walter Padgett
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2007
        Hey! I just happen to be reading Wuthering Heights (for the first
        time) at the moment. Yes, Catherine and Heathcliff experience a VERY
        different kind of love than Tolkien would spend much time writing
        about, but interesting none the less. Destructive is the word for
        that kind of love, for sure!