Re: [mythsoc] Re: Jackson movies as film art

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
      >There are many good elements in them, gorgeous scenery, great visuals,
      >talented actors, but what keeps them from being great movies for me is
      >the heavy-handed attempts to manipulate the audience emotionally.
      >For my tastes, the films lack subtlety. I felt like I was being hit
      >over the head with whatever concept Jackson was presenting. They were
      >certainly visually stunning, but they were not, by my standards, great
      >movies, even standing alone without the source material.

      I agree, even though I enjoyed seeing them and own copies of the extended-edition DVDs (with souvenir WETA miniatures! oboyboy). But even the first time watching FELLOWSHIP, I was extremely annoyed with PJ's tendency to go into slo-mo for every near-death scene. Once would've been okay, but over and over again? That's rookie filmmaking.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "dbltall42" <dbltall@...> wrote:

        > ...the scene with Denethor's poor table manners intercut with
        > Faramir falling swoopily...

        This is one of the few scenes that I found incredibly powerful. Yes, I
        knew I was being manipulated but it seemed "appropriate" to me,
        somehow, a kind of shorthand to show us Faramir's nobility and how far
        Denethor had fallen, while Pippin (of all people) sings this
        beautiful, stark *a capella* song...

        > It is probably the case that different people appreciate different
        > things in movies, just as we do in books.

        Yup. And that's a good thing, imho.

        -- Lynn --