Terri Windling, Charles De Lint

  • Emily Posk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 1999
      "This is my first time using a list so I hope I'm posting correctly.
      Anyway I'm responding to:
      My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen, Charles
      DeLint, and
      > Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has been a good soul with
      whom I have
      > conversed at times.

      I am familiar with Tanith Lee and Terri Windling. Just curious, aren't
      these authors associated more with the contemporary horror genre? I
      would really like to learn more about their work. "

      Charles De Lint is an incredible author, he writes modern fantasy. He is
      familiar with folklore traditions from all over the world and he brings
      them to life in a modern day setting. When you are reading De Lint you
      feel like magic is just around the corner. Some books to start off with
      are Spiritwalk, Moonheart, and The Little Country. The Little Country,
      has themes dealing with the realm of faerie and celtic folklore.
      His website is: http://www.cyberus.ca/~cdl/
      This is another site that also discusses his work and similar types of
      work:
      http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rblake/tmsnhse/tshlib.html

      As for Terri Windling, she does write fantasy in addition to horror. She
      has written the Woodwife recently. She also writes short stories and has
      been involved with the creations of Borderlands which is a series of
      short stories about youth who live on a town on the edge of elfland.
      Her website is http://www.endicott-studio.com/ This website features
      other authors and artists too. Such as Neil Gaiman, Brian Froud, and
      Alan Lee and others.
      Anyway I just thought I would pass on some info.
      You really should read some De Lint though, he will help you to see the
      magic and myth in modern day life.

      E.P.
    • FrMacKen@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 1999
        To Anyone who Is Interested;
        I have read The Little Country by DeLint, and found it to be a great
        read.
        My favourites would include
        1. The Lord of The Rings (of course)
        2. Thomas The Rhymer -Ellen Kushner
        3. The Pendragon Cycle (Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur) by Stephen Lawhead
        (Fresh blending of the Arthurian Legends with the ancient Welsh
        Mabinogion and the Atlantis myth)
        4.Merlin's Booke- An anthology by Jane Yolen
        5. The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror (the Fourth Annual Collection)
        This is the best of all the series. I can't say enough for this series. So
        much heart and soul goes into this anthology. In a field choked with many
        Tolkien-esque rip-offs, this proves that there are shining examples in the
        fantasy genre. Many kudos to Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. And while I am
        on my soapbox, I would like to say that Jane Yolen is the most eloquent
        fantasy author of our time. Tolkien was a genius, but Yolen is, at least in
        my mind, heir apparent. Pick up one of her stories, and see what I mean. Her
        stlye is not as grand as Tolkien's, but she is no less effective.
        6. The Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula LeGuin
        These are just some of my favourite books.
        Why didn't Ralph Bashki ever finish the animated film of The Lord of
        the Rings? Although key scenes were written out, and lines spoken by wrong
        characters, I still think it was a worthy project. I am alone in this matter?
        Thank you,
        Ron
      • Cat Eldridge
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 1999
          We have a goodly number of reviews on the Folk Tales website
          <<http://www.folk-tales.com> of books by Charles de Lint, and a number
          of reviews for collections done by Terri Windling. There's even a
          review of her first novel The Wood Wife.
          focus on books, music, and other good things of a folk nature. Our
          focus is primarily folk music from Celtic trad such as Alasdair Fraser
          to more folk rockier groups like Moving Hearts and Taxi Chain, fiction
          of a related nature such as the wonderful novels of Charles de Lint,
          and non-fiction books (mostly folklore and music related) related to
          these subjects as our readers are interested in all of these subjects.
          Of course, we will cover other subjects: concert reviews, upcoming
          major festivals, author profiles, even in depth profiles of performers
          grace our website.</color></fontfamily>)

          Cat Eldridge, publisher of Folk Tales