Fw: Tolkien residential weekend Birmingham 2007

  • Edith Crowe
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
      FYI, all...

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)
      ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 09/05/2007 03:46 PM -----

      Maggie_Burns@...
      09/05/2007 09:10 AM

      correspondence@...
      cc
      VWi8327963@...
      Subject
      Tolkien residential weekend Birmingham 2007

      Dear Edith Crowe,
      I hope it is all right to contact you about this, Doug Anderson
      suggested that you might know people who would be interested.

      I am one of the organisers of the yearly Tolkien Weekend in
      Birmingham which you may have heard of. This takes place
      in May at Sarehole Mill and on the river-meadow adjoining it
      in south Birmingham. There are usually various activities; some
      of them specifically about J. R.R. Tolkien and his youth in
      Birmingham, and some of general interest such as a country
      market, archery practice, and woodcarving.

      Because this is very popular we have decided to organise
      a residential weekend in November devoted wholly to the
      writings of J.R.R. Tolkien and the Birmingham he knew. This
      will take place 9th-11th November, based at the Plough and
      Harrow Hotel in Edgbaston. J.R.R. Tolkien stayed there with
      his wife Edith in 1916 before leaving for the war in France; those
      who book early will have their names entered in a draw, the first
      to be taken out will be allocated the room used by J.R.R. and
      Edith Tolkien during their stay.

      For more information see
      http://www.shireproductions.co.uk/news.htm
      or email GilraenBham@...

      We would be very grateful if you could pass this on to anyone
      whom you think might be interested. We could send leaflets if
      these would be of use.

      Thank you, and I hope we may meet sometime,
      Best wishes,
      Maggie Burns

      The information contained within this e-mail (and any attachment) sent by
      Birmingham City Council is confidential and may be legally privileged. It
      is intended only for the named recipient or entity to whom it is
      addressed. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our
      apologies and notify the sender immediately, or telephone +(44)(0)121 464
      4444. Unauthorised access, use, disclosure, storage or copying is not
      permitted and may be unlawful. Any e-mail including its content may be
      monitored and used by Birmingham City Council for reasons of security and
      for monitoring internal compliance with the office policy on staff use.
      E-mail blocking software may also be used. Any views or opinions presented
      are solely those of the originator and do not necessarily represent those
      of Birmingham City Council. We cannot guarantee that this message or any
      attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended.

    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
        oooh, that would be lovely-- if I recall correctly, there an AGM some
        years back, based at the Plough and Harrow... it was wonderful.

        -- Lynn --