ill effects and impact of Jackson's misrepresentations

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      I think you're over-emphasizing Jackson's impact. While the movie
      might not lead you to read LOTR, isn't it possible that someone else
      might have persuaded you that these films were not representative and
      you should really read the books? Has the Earthsea television series
      had a similar impact on Le Guin's reception? (You've had a lot less
      to say about that dramatization, at least here--is it less bad? Or
      merely less influential?)

      Frankly, I find that the films have had less impact on me than the
      Bakshi or Rankin Bass films. Probably because I was so much older
      when I saw them. I don't find that I necessarily "see" the films
      when I read passages from LOTR, or that I'm especially preoccupied
      with the films. If not for this list, I would still frequently think
      of Tolkien, but I don't think the films would come to mind all that
      often. I actually loved and still cherish some of the scenes from
      the early parts of the first Jackson LOTR film. Somehow, by the time
      the third one came out I never even managed to get to the theater to
      see it, though i dutifully purchased the extended edition DVD when it
      came out. I didn't see it until we discussed it as Rivendell, and
      I've never got around to watching all of the supplementary stuff on
      these disks. I looked upon the Bakshi films as "[mostly battle]
      scenes from The Lord of the Rings" and considered that in the same
      category as the various Tolkien calendars. Some I've liked better
      than others--Tim Kirk's, for instance, I like better than most, the
      Hildebrandts' rather less.

      The other thing about your comment that you have this responsibiliity
      to the younger generation to keep them from being driven from Tolkien
      by Jackson seems a little overwrought. IF you have some
      responsibility, it might be more along the lines of communicating
      your enjoyment and love of the books, don't take on a burden of
      combating these films. That may incidentally come up, I suppose, in
      the service of the former, but isn't it possible that some people
      just like both Tolkien & Jackson, even if you don't, just as some may
      like both Tolkien and Marion Zimmer Bradley or JRRT and CS Lewis or
      JRRT and Eric Rohmer films?

      Only vehement and continual warnings against Jackson seems a bit
      much--I think that the books will survive and continue to be read
      whether the films are mostly forgotten or still celebrated in 50
      years as great cinema art.

      On Sep 4, 2007, at 5:15 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Had that happened, it would have been tragic, at least for me. And
      > it is
      > happening right now, and we will never know, because these people will
      > never read Tolkien. Whereas they might have read him had they not been
      > misled by Jackson as to the nature of Tolkien's work. Only
      > continued and
      > vehement warnings that the spirit of Jackson (whether praiseworthy in
      > itself or not) is unlike the spirit of Tolkien will prevent this.
      > That is
      > one of my responsibilities to the younger generation: to keep
      > people like
      > me from being driven away from Tolkien by Jackson. Or by the wretched
      > Tolclone novels. This responsibility didn't begin with Jackson: it
      > began
      > with Terry Brooks in 1977, and I'd already been at it for over
      > twenty years
      > before I ever heard of Peter Jackson.

      David Lenander
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.