Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Movies/Hobbit

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
      On Sep 4, 2007, at 10:00 AM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
      > Well, Tolkien himself tried to 'darken' the Hobbit to match LR and
      > gave up on it- and if JRRT couldn't do it successfully, who could?

      Actually, Tolkien did darken THE HOBBIT, with great success, by the
      1947 revision of the Gollum chapter (published in the eventual
      'second edition' of 1951). His mistake, if it was a mistake, with the
      1960 HOBBIT was trying to make THE HOBBIT exactly like THE LORD OF
      THE RINGS; his abandoning that attempt was essentially a decision to
      let the earlier book stand on its own merits.

      --JDR
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
        On Sep 4, 2007, at 8:40 AM, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
        > The point wasn't whether more people would have seen better films --
        > I don't think anyone on this list was claiming that Jackson, New
        > Line, etc. could have made more money from a more faithful film--
        > but whether a more faithful film would have brought more people to
        > the book.

        In fact, just two days ago David posted "A more aesthetically and
        morally faithful film would have been quite within Jackson's
        technical and creative capacities, it could have been just as
        successful at the box office, and probably more so, and would have
        attracted readers even more efficiently." [emphasis mine].
        All of which I agree to, by the way, except I'd have phrased the
        last bit as 'could' rather than 'would', since we always have to be
        careful when discussing might-have-beens.

        --JDR

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
          On Sep 4, 2007, at 4:12 AM, ajkjr1 wrote:
          > If the movies are so bad don't watch them! I personally know of only
          > one Tolkien friend or acquaintance that has not seen the movies.

          > I am one of those people who had his interest in Tolkien revived
          > due to
          > the movies. I read them in High School and when the movies came out I
          > dug out the books to reread them and also discovered the Silmarillion
          > which I enjoyed even more.

          Welcome back!

          > Find some other topic to discuss besides picking on movies that
          > made a Jillion dollars

          Not quite; the total is about ten billion dollars. So far. Of course,
          the dvds continue to sell, and they're still licensing video games,
          so it'll eventually be significantly higher.

          > and brought tens of thousands of new people to the world of
          > Professor Tolkien.

          Try millions.

          > I would think that Tolkien scholars around the world would be happy
          > about this.

          Some are, some aren't. Oh well.

          --JDR
        • Walkermonk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
            I haven't used the words "argument" or "quarrel". I used the word "fight."
            To paraphrase D. L. Sayers, who was herself paraphrasing the Gospels,
            principles do not bring peace but rather swords. To me, my stand on the movies is a
            principle. An example of this principle: I cannot countenance the ugliness
            inflicted by Jackson upon Tolkien's characters of Frodo and Faramir and Merry,
            just to name the most significant but not the only characters so treated. I
            will NEVER think, therefore, that the movies are good, regardless of how many
            supposed millions were brought to Tolkien's books or other supposed good
            resulting from the movies. No unproven good will make up for the proven bad. My
            philosophy (and my theology) does not run in such ruts.

            Again, I will not start the fight. But I will meet it if I can. (And if the
            list admin. throws me off for this, I will bow to her superior position and
            only ask that David B. and Carl and Lynn copy me on their emails if they are
            able and willing.)

            Grace Walker Monk

            In a message dated 9/4/2007 8:34:15 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
            mafoster@... writes:

            "An argument is ruined by turning it into a quarrel." --G.K. Chesterton

            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "ajkjr1" <ajkjr@...> wrote:

              > Find some other topic to discuss besides picking on movies that made a
              > Jillion dollars and brought tens of thousands of new people to the
              > world of Professor Tolkien.
              >
              > I would think that Tolkien scholars around the world would be happy
              > about this.

              This is exactly like saying that Da Vinci scholars should be happy that "The Da Vinci Code"
              made a jillion dollars and brought millions of new people to the world of Da Vinci. I'll bet you
              won't find many Da Vinci scholars who are, though.

              Carl
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
                An argument is turned into a quarrel when the terms and points of the argument are ignored
                and simply waved away with an emotional, gainsaying assertion.

                Carl

                > "An argument is ruined by turning it into a quarrel." --G.K. Chesterton
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
                  With rather more than all due respect, my first posting on this topic
                  was in response to an unsolicited aside from D. Bratman in a posting of
                  his to which I replied on Wednesday last, "David, I don't think I've
                  ever accused you of being "rabidly
                  anti-Jackson." I do share Tom Shippey's view that the films, despite
                  their many flaws, have brought many new readers to the book. Some of
                  them were college students of mine and some of them turned out to be
                  rather good undergraduate scholars. Is that bad? Mike"

                  If there was a digression from this basic point of argument into
                  "emotional, gainsaying" assertions, such as Augustine is not to be
                  seriously considered as a theologian, don't lay that at my door.

                  I agree with David that the films were "pretty good" and that I enjoyed
                  them. They could have been much better in ways great and small, as I've
                  likewise said in this tangled thread. They weren't, but as a Cubs fan
                  and a Catholic, I'm used to the concept of the long defeat.

                  Would it have been better if the many who did read the books for the
                  first time, or like a previous writer today, pulled them off the shelf
                  after the films and re-read them and then went on to other J.R.R.
                  Tolkien works as well as, in some cases, participation in scholarly
                  conferences at Marquette and Aston -et alia-, had never done so?

                  That was the question I posed last week. It's a simple question. So
                  instead of hypothesizing about better Jackson films or whimpering over
                  marred visualization-and for this reader, Frodo will never be Elijah
                  Wood nor Elrond that pointy-browed guy in mind's eye, thanks-answer the
                  question, please and thank you.

                  -Pax vobiscum-,
                  Mike

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com,

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
                    On Sep 4, 2007, at 7:35 PM, Mike Foster wrote:
                    > If there was a digression from this basic point of argument into
                    > "emotional, gainsaying" assertions, such as Augustine is not to be
                    > seriously considered as a theologian, don't lay that at my door.

                    I didn't. My comment was not a reference to you. (Except to the
                    extent that you may have intended to tag the critical side of the
                    discussion as nothing more than "quarrel" rather than argument --
                    which I'm not saying you did; only you know.)

                    > I agree with David that the films were "pretty good"

                    Just FYI, I don't. Some _small_ parts of each movie were "pretty
                    good". For the most part it was just the usual cliched fantasy-
                    adventure-love-story crap I expect from Hollywood.

                    > Would it have been better if the many who did read the books for the
                    > first time, or like a previous writer today, pulled them off the shelf
                    > after the films and re-read them and then went on to other J.R.R.
                    > Tolkien works as well as, in some cases, participation in scholarly
                    > conferences at Marquette and Aston -et alia-, had never done so?

                    No, of course not; but that wasn't part of the terms of the argument.
                    It _could_ (and _should_) have been _so much better_, simply by
                    respecting the heart and soul of Tolkien's story: which, it is
                    surmised (personally, I think without any reasonable doubt) would
                    have brought even _more_ of the sort of good you describe here. For
                    your scenario fails to account for the (surely quite vast) number of
                    people who, having seen the movies and been unaffected by them, _as
                    they would not have been by a more faithful adaptation_ (in terms of
                    heart and soul, not plot-line), chose _not_ to read the books as a
                    result (figuring at best that they'd already "been there and done
                    that", having seen the film, and at worst because they found the
                    movies to be just the usual cliched fantasy-adventure-love-story crap
                    one expects from Hollywood and figured that Jackson and all the fans
                    were in earnest in claiming -- LOUDLY -- that it _was_ a faithful
                    adaptation, and so were actually turned _away_ from the books).

                    So, to turn your question back to you: Would it have been better if
                    all those who _didn't_ read the book _because_ the movies were a
                    _bad_ adaptation of Tolkien, and thus never went on to other Tolkien
                    works and in no case participated in scholarly conferences at
                    Marquette et alia, had never seen this movie?

                    _THAT'S_ the sort of question being asked by the critics of the movies.

                    Carl
                  • Walkermonk@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Lay it at mine, please. In the Orthodox Church, he's not. That's not
                      emotional; that's a point of fact and you are of course free to inquire of any
                      Orthodox priest you wish to verify it. And if you don't want to talk theology,
                      then don't bring it up in the first place. *Especially* as a way to justify the
                      ugliness that Jackson inflicted on Tolkien's works as somehow being good.

                      Grace Walker Monk

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
                        So, to turn your question back to you: Would it have been better if
                        all those who _didn't_ read the book _because_ the movies were a
                        _bad_ adaptation of Tolkien, and thus never went on to other Tolkien
                        works and in no case participated in scholarly conferences at
                        Marquette et alia, had never seen this movie?

                        _THAT'S_ the sort of question being asked by the critics of the movies.

                        Carl
                        Well, Carl, we can't know how many did not read et cetera as you note
                        above. We can only know, as John Rateliff notes, that millions DID read
                        the book in the years after the films were shown.
                        In fellowship,
                        Mike

                      • Carl F. Hostetter
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
                          On Sep 4, 2007, at 9:38 PM, Mike Foster wrote:
                          > So, to turn your question back to you: Would it have been better if
                          > all those who _didn't_ read the book _because_ the movies were a
                          > _bad_ adaptation of Tolkien, and thus never went on to other Tolkien
                          > works and in no case participated in scholarly conferences at
                          > Marquette et alia, had never seen this movie?
                          >
                          > _THAT'S_ the sort of question being asked by the critics of the
                          > movies.
                          >
                          > Carl
                          > Well, Carl, we can't know how many did not read et cetera as you note
                          > above. We can only know, as John Rateliff notes, that millions DID
                          > read
                          > the book in the years after the films were shown.
                          > In fellowship,
                          > Mike

                          But I'm not asking for a number. (It is surely, however, far, far
                          from zero.) The point is, while the readers Jackson's movies did
                          garner (certainly _not_ millions, BTW) are a good, it is not so great
                          a number, and therefore not so great a good (even by your own
                          calculation), as might have been achieved by a truly good and
                          faithful adaptation.

                          Cheers,

                          Carl
                        • Mike Foster
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 4, 2007
                            Again, Carl, we can't know [Hypothesis Contrary To Fact] if a better
                            [Tom Bombadil and Goldberry and Imrahil and Lobelia inclusive?] "good
                            and faithful" film cycle would have brought more readers to Tolkien.

                            As to between zero and millions of readers, I'll back off to tens of
                            thousands, while waiting for someone who might have a better sales
                            figure to inform us.

                            Cheers,
                            Mike

                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 5, 2007
                              On Sep 4, 2007, at 11:48 PM, Mike Foster wrote:

                              > Again, Carl, we can't know [Hypothesis Contrary To Fact] if a better
                              > [Tom Bombadil and Goldberry and Imrahil and Lobelia inclusive?] "good
                              > and faithful" film cycle would have brought more readers to Tolkien.

                              This is not true: we don't know the _number_ of additional readers,
                              but we certainly do know that there would have been more.

                              > As to between zero and millions of readers, I'll back off to tens of
                              > thousands, while waiting for someone who might have a better sales
                              > figure to inform us.

                              Sales of a book do not equal readers of that book.

                              Carl
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 5, 2007
                                At 10:30 AM 9/4/2007 -0700, John D Rateliff wrote:

                                >> and brought tens of thousands of new people to the world of
                                >> Professor Tolkien.
                                >
                                >Try millions.

                                "Tens of thousands" may be generous. Only those who have gone on to read
                                the books have been brought by the films "to the world of Professor
                                Tolkien." Those who have only seen the films have been brought to the
                                world of Peter Jackson, not to the world of Professor Tolkien.

                                At 03:40 PM 9/4/2007 +0000, Merlin DeTardo wrote:

                                >The point wasn't whether more people would have seen better films --I
                                >don't think anyone on this list was claiming that Jackson, New Line,
                                >etc. could have made more money from a more faithful film-- but
                                >whether a more faithful film would have brought more people to the
                                >book.

                                As John Rateliff observantly pointed out, I do believe a better adaptation
                                (not necessarily the same as "more faithful", because it's possible to be
                                faithful but stultifying) would have been even more successful at the box
                                office, but I'm not very sure of that, and it certainly wouldn't have made
                                all that much difference financially. I make this argument mostly in the
                                context of replying to those who claim that the evisceration of Tolkien
                                contributed to the film's financial success.

                                But I agree with you that that's not the main point. The main point is
                                whether the better adaptation would have brought more readers to the book.
                                And of course it would have. John thinks I should not phrase that with
                                such certainty, but it is as certain as hypotheticals about human behavior
                                can get.

                                >One thing I've noticed in online speculaton
                                >about the proposed _Hobbit_ movie is a division between those who
                                >want the material darkened to match Jackson's LotR --which I found
                                >generally to be grimmer in tone (more "Silmarillion"?) than Tolkien's
                                >LotR-- and those, like myself, who want the story to keep some of its
                                >lightheartedness, with a minimum of dark hints about the Ring, etc.

                                What we _want_ is irrelevant, because it's so dead certain that the
                                darkened version is what we're going to get whether we want it or not.
                                Even Tolkien (as John also noted) was not immune to that impulse -
                                sometimes to _The Hobbit_'s improvement, sometimes not - so why would
                                filmers, notoriously self-indulgent if Jackson is any example, be immune?

                                What I'm waiting to see in a _Hobbit_ film is whether the script has Bilbo
                                meeting the ten-year-old Estel (later known as Aragorn) in Rivendell. If
                                he does, the film gets an F. If he also meets Arwen, the film gets a
                                quintuple F: FFFFF. (A notation otherwise only seen in the climaxes of
                                scores by Tchaikovsky.)

                                "F", of course, here stands for "Fanboy".

                                At 07:47 PM 9/4/2007 +0000, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

                                >> I would think that Tolkien scholars around the world would be happy
                                >> about this.
                                >
                                >This is exactly like saying that Da Vinci scholars should be happy that "The
                                >Da Vinci Code"
                                >made a jillion dollars and brought millions of new people to the world of Da
                                >Vinci. I'll bet you won't find many Da Vinci scholars who are, though.

                                It certainly hasn't taught anyone to stop calling him "Da Vinci" as if that
                                were his surname. (Sorry: that's a bugaboo of mine, like Aragorn the
                                Reluctant King.)
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 5, 2007
                                  At 06:35 PM 9/4/2007 -0500, Mike Foster wrote:

                                  >I agree with David that the films were "pretty good" and that I enjoyed
                                  >them. They could have been much better in ways great and small, as I've
                                  >likewise said in this tangled thread. They weren't, but as a Cubs fan
                                  >and a Catholic, I'm used to the concept of the long defeat.

                                  As a Tolkien fan, I am used to concept of fighting the long defeat with all
                                  the strength, all the will, and all the courage I can bring to it.

                                  >Would it have been better if the many who did read the books for the
                                  >first time, or like a previous writer today, pulled them off the shelf
                                  >after the films and re-read them and then went on to other J.R.R.
                                  >Tolkien works as well as, in some cases, participation in scholarly
                                  >conferences at Marquette and Aston -et alia-, had never done so?
                                  >
                                  >That was the question I posed last week. It's a simple question. So
                                  >instead of hypothesizing about better Jackson films or whimpering over
                                  >marred visualization-and for this reader, Frodo will never be Elijah
                                  >Wood nor Elrond that pointy-browed guy in mind's eye, thanks-answer the
                                  >question, please and thank you.

                                  You asked the question, and I answered the question, with the answer you
                                  wanted. I answered it the same way over two years ago when you brought it
                                  up then, too. But whenever anybody demands a simple answer to a question,
                                  especially when the question has long since been answered to their
                                  satisfaction, it means that they don't want to hear anything else. And I
                                  refuse to simply call the readers brough to Tolkien by Jackson a good thing
                                  without adding that readers have been brought to Tolkien by even worse
                                  adaptations than Jackson, and that more readers would have been brought by
                                  a better adaptation. It's true whether you call it a hypothesis or not.

                                  Continuing wilfully to ignore the point, Mike continues in later posts:

                                  >Again, Carl, we can't know [Hypothesis Contrary To Fact] if a better
                                  >[Tom Bombadil and Goldberry and Imrahil and Lobelia inclusive?] "good
                                  >and faithful" film cycle would have brought more readers to Tolkien.

                                  and

                                  >we can't know how many did not read et cetera as you note
                                  >above. We can only know, as John Rateliff notes, that millions DID read
                                  >the book in the years after the films were shown.

                                  First off, it seems to be necessary to say, yet again, that the badness of
                                  the adaptation does not consist of the cuts of smaller characters, but of
                                  the evisceration of Tolkien's spirit, and that a better film would not
                                  consist of one with more of Tolkien's plot elements, but one with more of
                                  his aesthetics and morality. I said this, as clearly as I know how, on p.
                                  56-57 of my article in _Tolkien on Film_.

                                  Secondly, you appear to be arguing that since we cannot know how many
                                  people would have read Tolkien after a better film, or how many were driven
                                  away from contact with Tolkien by their encounter with Jackson, that the
                                  problem must be insignificant. That's unworthy of you. We can in fact
                                  very clearly determine that this is a significant and major problem. I've
                                  already given the reasons for it in this discussion, and in more detail on
                                  p. 44-45 of my article in _Tolkien on Film_.

                                  I wrote that article for the purpose of trying to get past all the stupid,
                                  irrelevant, lame-brained defenses of Jackson that people have been offering
                                  here and elsewhere, and having an actual discussion that advances the
                                  dialectic. If you've read my posts, and read my article, why don't you
                                  respond to them and take the discussion a step further on, instead of
                                  ignoring them and going back to square one every ... single ... time? The
                                  impression your line of argument gives is that my responses are
                                  unanswerable, as you so conspicuously fail even to attempt to counter them.
                                  To the extent that you have gone beyond rehashing the same arguments, it
                                  appears that we are in some agreement, so why go back to the "felix
                                  peccatum" again and again, when we already agreed on that specific narrow
                                  point two years ago? Let's go on to the next thing.
                                • aveeris523@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 5, 2007
                                    In a message dated 9/5/07 6:01:44 AM, Aelfwine@... writes:

                                    > Sales of a book do not equal readers of that book.
                                    >
                                    > Carl

                                    Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard is the best example of that!

                                    Steve Gaddis

                                  • Mike Foster
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 5, 2007
                                      Dear David,
                                      Your opinions are quite clearly expressed.

                                      I must wonder, however, if the Inklings, in their spirited discussion of
                                      a topic, ever referred to another's opinion as "stupid, lame-brained,
                                      irrelevant." Don't you think language like that is more quarrelsome
                                      than argumentative?

                                      Mike

> [...]

                                      offering
                                      here and elsewhere, and having an actual discussion that advances the
                                      dialectic. If you've read my posts, and read my article, why don't you
                                      respond to them and take the discussion a step further on, instead of
                                      ignoring them and going back to square one every ... single ... time?
                                      The
                                      impression your line of argument gives is that my responses are
                                      unanswerable, as you so conspicuously fail even to attempt to counter
                                      them.
                                      To the extent that you have gone beyond rehashing the same arguments, it
                                      appears that we are in some agreement, so why go back to the "felix
                                      peccatum" again and again, when we already agreed on that specific
                                      narrow
                                      point two years ago? Let's go on to the next thing.

                                    • Merlin DeTardo
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 5, 2007
                                        ---"Mike Foster" <mafoster@...> wrote:
                                        << I must wonder, however, if the Inklings, in their spirited
                                        discussion of a topic, ever referred to another's opinion as "stupid,
                                        lame-brained, irrelevant." >>

                                        "Oh, ****, not another elf"?

                                        But seriously: in 1948, Tolkien seems to have criticized Lewis' work so
                                        harshly that he later felt the need to explain himself, and to
                                        apologize: "I regret causing pain, even if and in so far as I had the
                                        right; and I am very sorry indeed still for having caused it quite
                                        excessively and unnecessarily" (Letter #113). Though it looks from the
                                        letter like the quarrel began not at an Inklings but in correspondence.

                                        Is there any more on this incident in _The Company They Keep_?

                                        -Merlin DeTardo
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 5, 2007
                                          At 11:18 PM 9/5/2007 -0500, Mike Foster wrote:

                                          >Your opinions are quite clearly expressed.

                                          I wish they were; then I might get replies that forwarded the discussion.

                                          >I must wonder, however, if the Inklings, in their spirited discussion of
                                          >a topic, ever referred to another's opinion as "stupid, lame-brained,
                                          >irrelevant." Don't you think language like that is more quarrelsome
                                          >than argumentative?

                                          If they didn't, that might be because they didn't express stupid,
                                          lame-brained, and irrelevant opinions; and that in turn might be because
                                          they had too much sense to try to defend some crappy movie.

                                          But in fact the Inklings did express themselves in very quarrelsome terms.
                                          To wit:

                                          Tolkien: "... a most amusing and highly contentious evening, on which (had
                                          an outsider eavesdropped) he would have thought it a meeting of fell
                                          enemies hurling deadly insults before drawing their guns."

                                          Lewis: "Wrenn almost seriously expressed a strong wish to burn Williams ...
                                          Tolkien and I agreed afterwards that we just knew what he meant: that as
                                          some people ... are eminently kickable, so Williams is eminently combustible."

                                          Lewis to Williams: "I've a good mind to punch your head when we next meet."

                                          Lewis to Barfield: "Take that grin off your ugly face."

                                          Tolkien about Lewis: "Alas! His ponderous silliness is becoming a fixed
                                          manner." And on another occasion: "Doesn't he know what he's talking about?"

                                          Warren Lewis: "To read to the Inklings was a formidable ordeal."

                                          These are all from chapter 4 of Glyer's _The Company They Keep_.

                                          Lastly, I must record the piquant irony of being chided for quarrelsomeness
                                          by someone who, quite without justification, has used equally strong
                                          language to condemn my posts on Jackson (quoted in a post of mine of Sept.
                                          2; I don't care to repeat it again).

                                          At 04:44 AM 9/6/2007 +0000, Merlin DeTardo wrote:

                                          >But seriously: in 1948, Tolkien seems to have criticized Lewis' work so
                                          >harshly that he later felt the need to explain himself, and to
                                          >apologize: "I regret causing pain, even if and in so far as I had the
                                          >right; and I am very sorry indeed still for having caused it quite
                                          >excessively and unnecessarily" (Letter #113). Though it looks from the
                                          >letter like the quarrel began not at an Inklings but in correspondence.
                                          >
                                          >Is there any more on this incident in _The Company They Keep_?

                                          Not specifically, I don't think: it's not entirely clear what he's talking
                                          about or which book he's referring to, and Glyer's is a work of analysis
                                          and connection rather than one of primary research. But there's plenty of
                                          material on Tolkien's criticisms of Lewis, on Lewis's of Tolkien, and on
                                          everybody's of everybody else's.
                                        • William Cloud Hicklin
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 6, 2007
                                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin
                                            DeTardo" <emptyD@...> wrote:

                                            > ---"Mike Foster" <mafoster@> wrote:
                                            > << I must wonder, however, if the Inklings, in
                                            their spirited
                                            > discussion of a topic, ever referred to
                                            another's opinion as "stupid,
                                            > lame-brained, irrelevant." >>
                                            >

                                            > "Oh, ****, not another elf"?
                                            >
                                            > But seriously: in 1948, Tolkien seems to have
                                            criticized Lewis' work so
                                            > harshly that he later felt the need to explain
                                            himself, and to
                                            > apologize: "I regret causing pain, even if and
                                            in so far as I had the
                                            > right; and I am very sorry indeed still for
                                            having caused it quite
                                            > excessively and unnecessarily" (Letter #113).
                                            Though it looks from the
                                            > letter like the quarrel began not at an
                                            Inklings but in correspondence.

                                            > Is there any more on this incident in _The
                                            Company They Keep_?

                                            Myself I get the impression that a 'harsh'
                                            criticism by Inklings standards would have been
                                            akin to Tolkien's (private) "ponderous
                                            silliness" comment on Lewis' style. They were,
                                            after all, a) British and b) dons.
                                          • John D Rateliff
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 6, 2007
                                              On Sep 6, 2007, at 5:44 AM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
                                              > Myself I get the impression that a 'harsh' criticism by Inklings
                                              > standards would have been akin to Tolkien's (private) "ponderous
                                              > silliness" comment on Lewis' style. They were, after all, a)
                                              > British and b) dons.

                                              For Tolkien's attempt to portray what their exchange was like, see
                                              the first chapter of THE NOTION CLUB PAPERS (HME.IX).
                                              Incidently, I asked several Inklings what they thought of the
                                              "Thursday Night" chapter in Carpenter's book, and they all felt that
                                              while it was a fine piece of writing and very cleverly done, it
                                              didn't convey what an actual Inklings meeting was like. Warnie's
                                              diary entries, and Tolkien's letters, give us our best glimpse, brief
                                              as those are.

                                              --JDR

                                              "Interior is Anterior" --Owen Barfield, UNANCESTRAL VOICE.
                                            • Mike Foster
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 6, 2007
                                                Yesterday, David, you wrote, "I have said
                                                that as movies on their own I think they're pretty good."

                                                Today they're "crappy."

                                                Disgreeing is one thing; being disagreeable is another.

                                                Cheers,
                                                Mike

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 6, 2007
                                                  Typo corrected, another casualty of the "Ready.FIRE!...aim" nature of
                                                  E-mail.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 6, 2007
                                                    As Bullwinkle used to say to Rocky, "This time for sure!"

                                                    Agreeably,
                                                    Mike

                                                    Typo corrected, another casualty of the "Ready.FIRE!...aim" nature of
                                                    E-mail.

                                                    Yesterday, David, you wrote, "I have said
                                                    that as movies on their own I think they're pretty good."

                                                    Today they're "crappy."

                                                    Disagreeing is one thing; being disagreeable is another.

                                                    Cheers,
                                                    Mike