Re: [mythsoc] Beowulf film

    Message 1 of 108 , Sep 3, 2007
      In a message dated 9/3/2007 12:24:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      ChessQu654@... writes:

      am jealous of those of you who have manages to make a career of studying
      Tolkien, Lewis and literature.

      For what it's worth, only a few of the people regularly posting here "make a
      career of studying Tolkien, Lewis and literature", even in a fairly vague
      sense. Even those who occasionally teach courses on the Inklings or write
      books about them have many other things they have to do in their teaching jobs.
      I think the number of people who actually make their living from studying or
      writing about the Inklings must be in the single digits.

      Message 108 of 108 , Dec 7, 2007
        In a message dated 12/7/07 9:41:39 AM, dbratman@... writes:

        > Very much the opposite opinion here. I don't recall anything harmful being
        > done to the text, but the image was definitely a problem. Tolkien says she was
        > "beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful." The only word in this
        > that Jackson seems to have followed was "terrible" - and he seems to be using
        > it in the sense of "scary and terrifying," rather than "eliciting awe" which
        > is what Tolkien presumably meant.
        >
        > Good point David! Beautiful and Terrible like an angel would have been more
        appropriate.