Re: Pan's Labyrinth

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 66 , Sep 2, 2007
      Interesting, David - your sense of this girl's character and mine are
      very very different! I didn't see her as particularly mature for her
      age, etc.--

      -- Lynn --

      > At 05:08 AM 9/3/2007 +0000, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
      >
      > >I think that was her explanation to Pan, her excuse - not an
      > >intentional lie so much as trying to explain an act of selfish
      > >stupidity. See, I think you are expecting more rational thought from
      > >children than is generally seen. ...
      > >I suspect she didn't have a reason other than, "oooh, grapes look
      > >good! there's lots of them, who's going to know if I eat one or two?"
      > >and then not really thinking through the whole warning - that kind of
      > >mental dismissal of inconvenient facts/instructions seems very typical
      > >of childhood to me - a place where willful disobedience is a common
      > >occurance, but usually not with such terrifying consequences.
      >
      > My mileage varies, all right. I don't buy it. This isn't about me
      - this
      > girl is presented as mature, thoughtful, observant, capable of following
      > instructions and of knowing precisely why she disobeys them. This
      is just
      > totally out of character for her.
      >

      > >At least I wouldn't go expecting a "reason" beyond that.
      >
      > How about "because the script made her do it"?

    • Mike Foster
      Message 66 of 66 , Sep 7, 2007
        In the cool light of day the morning after viewing this, Jo and I
        discovered that, while the movie was certainly wonderfully done, it was
        a bit off-putting for the reasons Pat and Carl noted below-though, as
        noted before, the girl's fate was something I would much rather not have
        known in advance.

        As Jo said, "It's fine that good finally overcame evil, but did there
        have to be so much evil?" The ending, where the girl's death amounts to
        the saving of her brother and her final glimpse of a beatific heavenly
        vision with a God the Father (as well as David Crosby) lookalike seems
        to be an obvious Christian parallel.

        In reviewing this thread, especially the business with the grapes, it
        seems fitting to cite Chesterton's "The Ethics Of Elfland" and his
        Doctrine of Conditional Joy, where all good and evil hang on a random
        choice to do or not to do a simple deed: Eve's apple, Pandora's box.
        Tolkien mentions this in "On Fairy Stories." It certainly looms in the
        amplification of the power of the Ring from -The Hobbit- to -The Lord of
        the Rings-, where what had been a handy little talisman for Bilbo
        becomes life or death for Frodo. That's why Jackson's plot change from
        Faramir refusing to take the Ring from Frodo to the muddled digression
        to Osgiliath is one of the more egregious offenses in the screenplay.

        Mike