Re: [mythsoc] Re: Chairman Elrond.

    Message 1 of 108 , Sep 2, 2007
      At 09:06 PM 9/2/2007 +0000, Merlin DeTardo wrote:

      >Shippey's explanation appears in _J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the
      >Century_

      Yes, I remember that, and it didn't make much sense there either. Shippey
      has failed to grasp the point: this isn't a committee meeting, it's a
      conference. The background has to be understood, and the nature and extent
      of the danger have to be addressed and clarified. That's the reason for
      the field reports, which contra him are not digressive.
    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 108 of 108 , Dec 7, 2007
        In a message dated 12/7/07 9:41:39 AM, dbratman@... writes:

        > Very much the opposite opinion here. I don't recall anything harmful being
        > done to the text, but the image was definitely a problem. Tolkien says she was
        > "beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful." The only word in this
        > that Jackson seems to have followed was "terrible" - and he seems to be using
        > it in the sense of "scary and terrifying," rather than "eliciting awe" which
        > is what Tolkien presumably meant.
        >
        > Good point David! Beautiful and Terrible like an angel would have been more
        appropriate.