Re: Pan's Labyrinth

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 66 , Sep 2, 2007
      I loved "A Scanner Darkly" - it would have gotten my vote over "Pan's
      Labyrinth". "Children of Men" turned out to be too politically
      heavy-handed for my taste; I like less preaching in my SF (cue Reese's
      Peanut Butter Cup advert here).

      -- Lynn --

      > All you friends and foes of Pan's Labyrinth may be interested to
      learn that
      > it was presented with the Hugo Award for Best SF or Fantasy Dramatic
      > Presentation (Long Form) a couple days ago.
      >
      > The other finalists were all book adaptations, and could form a
      course in
      > different ways of doing it:
      >
      > A Scanner Darkly: a brilliant and pitch-perfect adaptation of a very
      dark
      > and difficult novel. Hardly anyone saw it (I rushed to it the day it
      > opened, but that's me), but it was never a novel designed to be
      popular, so
      > filming it ws itself an act of bravery.
      >
      > The Prestige: how to badly adapt a good novel by poking giant holes
      in the
      > plot big enough to drive a truck through (in one case, literally
      so). The
      > most irritating movie I saw last year.
      >
      > V for Vendetta: mostly it stays with too much witless exact fidelity
      to the
      > original, draining it of life and character; sometimes it veers away,
      > always pointlessly.
      >
      > Children of Men: I've neither read the book nor seen the movie. The
      book
      > got very bad reviews in the SF field (as the work of a non-genre
      author who
      > had no idea she was regurgitating an old hack plot), but the movie
      seemed
      > to be better received without any indication that it had changed the
      story
      > significantly. Does that mean that we expect our films to
      regurgitate old
      > hack plots?

    • Mike Foster
      Message 66 of 66 , Sep 7, 2007
        In the cool light of day the morning after viewing this, Jo and I
        discovered that, while the movie was certainly wonderfully done, it was
        a bit off-putting for the reasons Pat and Carl noted below-though, as
        noted before, the girl's fate was something I would much rather not have
        known in advance.

        As Jo said, "It's fine that good finally overcame evil, but did there
        have to be so much evil?" The ending, where the girl's death amounts to
        the saving of her brother and her final glimpse of a beatific heavenly
        vision with a God the Father (as well as David Crosby) lookalike seems
        to be an obvious Christian parallel.

        In reviewing this thread, especially the business with the grapes, it
        seems fitting to cite Chesterton's "The Ethics Of Elfland" and his
        Doctrine of Conditional Joy, where all good and evil hang on a random
        choice to do or not to do a simple deed: Eve's apple, Pandora's box.
        Tolkien mentions this in "On Fairy Stories." It certainly looms in the
        amplification of the power of the Ring from -The Hobbit- to -The Lord of
        the Rings-, where what had been a handy little talisman for Bilbo
        becomes life or death for Frodo. That's why Jackson's plot change from
        Faramir refusing to take the Ring from Frodo to the muddled digression
        to Osgiliath is one of the more egregious offenses in the screenplay.

        Mike