RE: [mythsoc] Beowulf film

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 108 , Sep 2, 2007
      As Chesterton said, David, "An argument is ruined by turning it into a
      quarrel." There has been, at times, much more heat that light in this
      discussion over the years, and if in years past I sprinkled a little
      kerosene on the blaze, I don't intend to again, thanks all the same.
      -Procedamus in pace-.

      One way to look at the Jackson films, it being Sunday morning and all,
      is as -felix peccatum-, rather like Eve biting the apple, the felicitous
      sin that led to the Redemption.

      Cheers,
      Mike

      Message 108 of 108 , Dec 7, 2007
        In a message dated 12/7/07 9:41:39 AM, dbratman@... writes:

        > Very much the opposite opinion here. I don't recall anything harmful being
        > done to the text, but the image was definitely a problem. Tolkien says she was
        > "beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful." The only word in this
        > that Jackson seems to have followed was "terrible" - and he seems to be using
        > it in the sense of "scary and terrifying," rather than "eliciting awe" which
        > is what Tolkien presumably meant.
        >
        > Good point David! Beautiful and Terrible like an angel would have been more
        appropriate.