Re: [mythsoc] Re: Jackson Films

  • Doug Kane
    Message 1 of 108 , Aug 31, 2007
      Lynn and Marriette -

      I fully agree with your comments about the Bilbo and Galadriel temptation scenes. I actually think the voice distortion of Cate Blanchett was even more annoying that the green radioactive effects. Here we have a confluence of a talented actress and some extremely powerful dialogue written by Tolkien himself. Jackson should have trusted that combination.

      Much better done was the scene between Gandalf and Bilbo after the party, when Bilbo accuses the wizard of trying to steal the Ring. No pyrotechnic special effects were used, just a trick of perspective that made Gandalf look like he had grown large and forbidding (just as it is described in the book). That's a great scene with two great actors using much of Tolkien's own dialogue. I wish that Jackson had used it as an example for some of the other scenes that have been mentioned.

      Doug
      Message 108 of 108 , Dec 7, 2007
        In a message dated 12/7/07 9:41:39 AM, dbratman@... writes:

        > Very much the opposite opinion here. I don't recall anything harmful being
        > done to the text, but the image was definitely a problem. Tolkien says she was
        > "beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful." The only word in this
        > that Jackson seems to have followed was "terrible" - and he seems to be using
        > it in the sense of "scary and terrifying," rather than "eliciting awe" which
        > is what Tolkien presumably meant.
        >
        > Good point David! Beautiful and Terrible like an angel would have been more
        appropriate.