Re: Jackson Films

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 108 , Aug 31 1:35 PM
      This is one of the places Jackson falls down: he's not that
      experienced as a director of GOOD actors and he actually had quite a
      few. "Nuclear Galadriel" was particularly ineffective because you
      couldn't hear the dialog <I>which is darn important!</I>

      > He had Ian McKellan and Christopher Lee, for heaven's sake! Why
      > couldn't he just have let them have a silent, mental battle - both
      > actors are more than capable of putting that across in a dramatic
      > way. It would have been much more satisfying to watch than all that
      > kung fu nonsense.

      Oh heavens - the wizard-fu, I completely forgotten that embarassing
      sequence... {{much eye-rolling}}

      Nevermind.

      -- Lynn --

    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 108 of 108 , Dec 7, 2007
        In a message dated 12/7/07 9:41:39 AM, dbratman@... writes:

        > Very much the opposite opinion here. I don't recall anything harmful being
        > done to the text, but the image was definitely a problem. Tolkien says she was
        > "beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful." The only word in this
        > that Jackson seems to have followed was "terrible" - and he seems to be using
        > it in the sense of "scary and terrifying," rather than "eliciting awe" which
        > is what Tolkien presumably meant.
        >
        > Good point David! Beautiful and Terrible like an angel would have been more
        appropriate.