Re: Pan's Labyrinth

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 66 , Aug 30, 2007
      * Partial spoilers herein *

      Yes, she's hungry - BUT she went for grapes, she didn't ravenously dig
      into more substantial fare. I felt it was willful, childish
      disobedience and *if she believed nothing bad was going to happen* she
      was not representative of children in that era or, I think, of fairy
      tales in general. One of the purposes of fairy tales is to teach "bad
      things happen if you're disobedient!"

      In any case, her disobedience didn't read as "real" to me, it seemed
      too quick and the fairies were warning her and she waved them off - it
      was a character point that confused me.

      I really didn't like Pan himself--

      And I was bothered by the torture without viewing it as "torture porn"
      (a scary concept for me - yikes!)

      -- Lynn --

      > However, I have a question about the film's plot I'd like to put to the
      > collective minds of the list.
      >
      > One of the girl's tasks involves passing by the banquet at which the
      > eyeless man is sitting motionless. Although Pan had told her
      specifically
      > not to eat anything, at possible peril of her life, she takes two
      grapes,
      > and all heck breaks loose.
      >
      > The question is, why did she eat the grapes?
      >
      > One person with whom I discussed this pointed out that this was just
      after
      > she'd been sent to bed without supper. I'd forgotten, when watching the
      > banquet scene, that this had immediately preceded it. In any case, the
      > girl didn't look ravenous. She looked more as if she was taking the
      grapes
      > out of curiosity.
      >
      > But when Pan berates her afterwards for taking the grapes, her only
      > response is to say, "I thought nothing would happen." That seems to
      me to
      > contradict and disable any suggestion that she did take the grapes
      out of
      > curiosity. Did she conclude that something bad would happen, and
      decided
      > to make it happen in order to spice up an otherwise boring and
      simple task?
      > Someone else suggested that possibility to me, but that doesn't
      seem credible.

    • Mike Foster
      Message 66 of 66 , Sep 7, 2007
        In the cool light of day the morning after viewing this, Jo and I
        discovered that, while the movie was certainly wonderfully done, it was
        a bit off-putting for the reasons Pat and Carl noted below-though, as
        noted before, the girl's fate was something I would much rather not have
        known in advance.

        As Jo said, "It's fine that good finally overcame evil, but did there
        have to be so much evil?" The ending, where the girl's death amounts to
        the saving of her brother and her final glimpse of a beatific heavenly
        vision with a God the Father (as well as David Crosby) lookalike seems
        to be an obvious Christian parallel.

        In reviewing this thread, especially the business with the grapes, it
        seems fitting to cite Chesterton's "The Ethics Of Elfland" and his
        Doctrine of Conditional Joy, where all good and evil hang on a random
        choice to do or not to do a simple deed: Eve's apple, Pandora's box.
        Tolkien mentions this in "On Fairy Stories." It certainly looms in the
        amplification of the power of the Ring from -The Hobbit- to -The Lord of
        the Rings-, where what had been a handy little talisman for Bilbo
        becomes life or death for Frodo. That's why Jackson's plot change from
        Faramir refusing to take the Ring from Frodo to the muddled digression
        to Osgiliath is one of the more egregious offenses in the screenplay.

        Mike