Re: [mythsoc] Pan's Labyrinth (spoilers for Pan's Labyrinth, of course)

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2007
      From: "Joshua Kronengold" <mneme@...>

      > In a way, of course, the reason she takes two grapes is that she was
      > -meant- to take them. This is the part of the test where the hero
      > (ine) is destined to fail, and if this means the grapes are
      > dramatically or magically attractive, then so be it.

      I like this explanation best of all. It bothered me that she took the
      grapes. We see her reading fairy tales. That translates to me as this
      character knows what happens when you do precisely what you are told not to
      do, so I found it aggravating that she ate the grapes. After all, we
      invited my least-favorite sister to our wedding because we know what happens
      when you *don't* invite the wicked fairy!

      Berni