Re: General

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 15 6:16 PM
      In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
      LeslieJ55@... writes:

      > old Mythie feeling lonely

      Can you come to the Mythcon in Milwaukee this year, Leslie? Love to see you
      there.

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 16 6:51 AM
        LeslieJ55@... writes:

        > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
        > > MacDonald.

        There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
        simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
        quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
        were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

        Mary S
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 16 7:04 AM
          Mary wrote:

          >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
          >> > MacDonald.
          >
          >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
          >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
          >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
          >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

          It's:

          Johannesen Printing and Publishing
          P.O. Box 24
          Whitethorn, CA 95589

          Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

          Wayne Hammond
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 16 7:22 AM
            LeslieJ55@... writes:

            > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
            > > MacDonald.

            There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
            simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
            quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
            were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

            Mary S
          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 18 8:35 AM
              Jim Bohannon wrote:

              > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
              >
              > FrMacKen@... wrote:
              > >
              > > From: FrMacKen@...
              > >
              > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
              > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
              > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

              I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
              so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
              see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

              > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
              > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
              > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

              I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
              Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
              me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
              enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
              De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
              like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
              people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
              far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
              and
              Dream.* ---djb.

              > Blessings,
              > Jim
            • Diane Baker
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 18 8:44 AM
                LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                > From: LeslieJ55@...
                >
                > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
                >
                > Leslie Maloney,
                > Hampton, VA

                Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

                Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
                Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
                cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
                geography? ---djb.