Re: "fantasy" films?

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 66 , Aug 29, 2007
      PJ reminds me of the sort of person who would
      take a fine bourbon like Maker's Mark and dilute
      it with Coca-Cola. There truly is no accounting
      for taste.

      There's nothing wrong with bourbon-and-Coke,
      especially at a college football game in
      September: but fer gawrsh sakes sake use rotgut
      and don't waste the good stuff. Far better PJ
      had filmed Shannara or The Belgariad.
    • Mike Foster
      Message 66 of 66 , Sep 7, 2007
        In the cool light of day the morning after viewing this, Jo and I
        discovered that, while the movie was certainly wonderfully done, it was
        a bit off-putting for the reasons Pat and Carl noted below-though, as
        noted before, the girl's fate was something I would much rather not have
        known in advance.

        As Jo said, "It's fine that good finally overcame evil, but did there
        have to be so much evil?" The ending, where the girl's death amounts to
        the saving of her brother and her final glimpse of a beatific heavenly
        vision with a God the Father (as well as David Crosby) lookalike seems
        to be an obvious Christian parallel.

        In reviewing this thread, especially the business with the grapes, it
        seems fitting to cite Chesterton's "The Ethics Of Elfland" and his
        Doctrine of Conditional Joy, where all good and evil hang on a random
        choice to do or not to do a simple deed: Eve's apple, Pandora's box.
        Tolkien mentions this in "On Fairy Stories." It certainly looms in the
        amplification of the power of the Ring from -The Hobbit- to -The Lord of
        the Rings-, where what had been a handy little talisman for Bilbo
        becomes life or death for Frodo. That's why Jackson's plot change from
        Faramir refusing to take the Ring from Frodo to the muddled digression
        to Osgiliath is one of the more egregious offenses in the screenplay.

        Mike