'LORDS OF THE RINGS' SCHEDULE

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 10:21 PM
      'LORDS OF THE RINGS' SCHEDULE

      One of the most ambitious aspects of the Lord of the Rings production
      currently filming in New Zealand is the fact that all three films in the
      trilogy are being filmed simultaneously. At their Dragon Con panel last
      weekend in Atlanta, actors Karl Urban and Brad Dourif illuminated some
      of the specifics regarding the current filming plans for the three
      films.

      "I believe we are supposed to be filming until February of next year,"
      revealed Urban, who portrays Eomer in the films. "I found out when I was
      cast in January that my first day would be in March of this year, and
      then I've got a lot more toward the end of the year. It's been broken
      bits of work--a week here, a day there."

      "When a location's hot and you have a film crew there, it's much cheaper
      to do everything there," explained Dourif, who portrays Grima
      Wormtongue. "So if you do three movies, you just keep bringing people
      there and you can shoot all the way through, then strike it. That saves
      a lot of money. As for battles, a lot of times you can double battles;
      you can cross-use footage. That saves enormous amounts of time.
      Continuity-wise, because you're doing everything at once, you really can
      get an idea of how things blend together as you're doing them, so the
      three movies are one movie, in a way.

      "My feeling is that come February, it's over," Dourif explained. "It's
      just really expensive to go back and rebuild something like Helm's
      Deep."
      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists