Re: "fantasy" films?

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 66 , Aug 28, 2007
      I think Jackson's remake is better than the '70s one with Jessica
      Lange but I also prefer the 1933 film.

      -- Lynn --

      > In a message dated 8/27/2007 5:32:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > lynnmaudlin@... writes:
      >
      > Which "King Kong" ??
      >

      > I don't know for sure which one was on the list that Merlin quoted,
      but I
      > presume it was the 1933 King Kong. In any case, that's the one that
      I think is
      > better than any of the Jackson films. I haven't seen Jackson's
      version of
      > King Kong, and I wasn't particularly impressed by the 1970's remake
      of it.

      > Wendell Wagner

    • Mike Foster
      Message 66 of 66 , Sep 7, 2007
        In the cool light of day the morning after viewing this, Jo and I
        discovered that, while the movie was certainly wonderfully done, it was
        a bit off-putting for the reasons Pat and Carl noted below-though, as
        noted before, the girl's fate was something I would much rather not have
        known in advance.

        As Jo said, "It's fine that good finally overcame evil, but did there
        have to be so much evil?" The ending, where the girl's death amounts to
        the saving of her brother and her final glimpse of a beatific heavenly
        vision with a God the Father (as well as David Crosby) lookalike seems
        to be an obvious Christian parallel.

        In reviewing this thread, especially the business with the grapes, it
        seems fitting to cite Chesterton's "The Ethics Of Elfland" and his
        Doctrine of Conditional Joy, where all good and evil hang on a random
        choice to do or not to do a simple deed: Eve's apple, Pandora's box.
        Tolkien mentions this in "On Fairy Stories." It certainly looms in the
        amplification of the power of the Ring from -The Hobbit- to -The Lord of
        the Rings-, where what had been a handy little talisman for Bilbo
        becomes life or death for Frodo. That's why Jackson's plot change from
        Faramir refusing to take the Ring from Frodo to the muddled digression
        to Osgiliath is one of the more egregious offenses in the screenplay.

        Mike