Re: [mythsoc] Color-timing

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2007
      >From: Lynn Maudlin <lynnmaudlin@...>
      >
      >... For instance, I would enjoy Jackson's LotR films much more
      >if 1) he'd color-timed them differently ...

      This must be a film term I'm not familiar with. What is color-timing, and how was Jackson's use of it wrong?

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2007
        In traditional film, the color timing is part of the photographic
        reproduction process to correct color appearance and give consistency
        (problems range from using different film stock to exposure errors,
        etc.). Now days it's not a chemical process anymore (it used to
        literally be done in big chemical baths) but a digital process and
        Jackson used it *extensively*.

        I found the films oppressively "blue" - I don't know if that makes any
        sense to anybody else, but even Rivendell went blue (about the only
        thing that didn't go blue in the first film was Hobbiton itself). It
        didn't seem quite so egregious in the last two films, possibly because
        the tone is darker, overall - but he just sucked all the yellow and a
        lot of the red out of the movie... *whimper*
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_grading

        -- Lynn --