Re: General

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
      In a message dated 6/15/99 6:52:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
      LeslieJ55@... writes:

      > old Mythie feeling lonely

      Can you come to the Mythcon in Milwaukee this year, Leslie? Love to see you
      there.

      Mary S
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 15, 1999
        LeslieJ55@... wrote:

        > From: LeslieJ55@...
        >
        > In a message dated 6/13/99 11:09:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > bohannon@... writes:
        >
        > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
        > > MacDonald. I own copies of "Phantastes", "Lilith", and "The Princess
        > > and the Goblin", in addition to marking web sites with e-texts. Any
        > > suggestions on the best way to proceed?
        > >
        > > Blessings,
        > >
        > > Jim Bohannon
        > > Milledgeville, Georgia
        > Jim,
        > when you finish Lilith let me know. Most "Mythopoeic" book I ever read.
        >
        > Leslie Maloney
        >
        > A hobbit aging, stumbly, seeking,
        > seeking grace, and most of all a nice cuppa tea, a little biscuit or cake,
        > and some good company.
        > Damn, Virginia is boring.
        >
        > (excuse the mumblings. Just an aging old Mythie feeling lonely)

        Leslie:

        I know e-mail doesn't quite fill the bill of a personal confab, but
        maybe being on the mythsoc list will help.

        Another aging hobbit
        with a penchant for Earl Grey.
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
          LeslieJ55@... writes:

          > > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
          > > MacDonald.

          There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
          simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
          quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
          were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

          Mary S
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999
            Mary wrote:

            >> > I am also interested in expanding my contact with the work of George
            >> > MacDonald.
            >
            >There's a company out there which is republishing his works [and NOT
            >simplifying and shortening them, as some Christian publishers have done] at
            >quite reasonable prices. Anybody have their name and address? I know they
            >were at the dealers' table at the last Mythcon.

            It's:

            Johannesen Printing and Publishing
            P.O. Box 24
            Whitethorn, CA 95589

            Also on the Web at <www.johannesen.com>.

            Wayne Hammond
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 1999

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                Jim Bohannon wrote:

                > From: Jim Bohannon <bohannon@...>
                >
                > FrMacKen@... wrote:
                > >
                > > From: FrMacKen@...
                > >
                > I have to admit I am excited after learning on this list
                > about the production of a movie series of Tolkein's "Lord of the
                > Rings." I don't generally get very excited about movie news -- but I am excited about this!

                I hope that the film turns out well, but other productions of LOTR were
                so dreadful that I'm quite wary. I'll check out the movie sites, and
                see what they're doing so far. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

                > My own forays into fantasy include authors such as Jane Yolen,
                > Charles DeLint, and Tanith Lee...Terri Windling from Tor Books has
                > been a good soul with whom I have conversed at times.

                I've read Tanith Lee and enjoyed her work, esp. earlier things, *The
                Electric Forest* in particular. She's gone over to horror (fine with
                me), but also has some interesting SF. Windling's a fine editor, and I
                enjoyed her *Wood Wife.* I'm pleased to say that I'm enjoying Charles
                De Lint's *Someplace to Be Flying,* btw. Am about halfway through. I
                like the characters, and am enjoying the conception of the animal
                people; he does well to keep the medicine lands in the background (so
                far), and it seems much lighter in tone than either *Trader* or *Memory
                and
                Dream.* ---djb.

                > Blessings,
                > Jim
              • Diane Baker
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 18, 1999
                  LeslieJ55@... wrote:

                  > From: LeslieJ55@...
                  >
                  > So what have you all to say on Lewis, or Tolkien, Or Williams or MacDonald?
                  > give out discussion, we are here to Discuss.
                  >
                  > Leslie Maloney,
                  > Hampton, VA

                  Sounds like an essay question. Is this a test? :)

                  Seems we need a topic. OK, if Lewis (suburban), Williams (city), and
                  Tolkien (rural) were different because of their orientation toward
                  cities, rural country side or suburbs, what unites them in terms of
                  geography? ---djb.