Re: Jackson vs. Tolkien (was: Robert Zemeckis Beowulf)

  • dbltall42
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2007
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cole Matson" <ccematson@...> wrote:

      > Wendell Wagner wrote:
      >
      > <<Money.>>
      >
      > There are other adaptations that have a much better chance of making a
      > boatload of money than taking a gamble on a very expensive three-part
      > fantasy epic. Like, say, Transformers. Or comic book heroes like
      Spider-Man.

      And there are people who love Spider-Man just as much as we love
      Tolkien and were just as concerned that the movies be faithful to the
      character (I live with one of them ;) They cared very much, not about
      specific details of the plot, but that Peter Parker's character remain
      Peter Parker - nerdy, conflicted, struggling, caring. They were quite
      worried that the movies would misrepresent the character and turn him
      into a Batman-like Dark Knight or a Superman-like self-confident
      superhero.

      My resident Spider-Man fanboy was pleased with the movies - he feels
      they did an excellent job of bringing the characters and story to the
      screen, and he thinks that Jackson would have been a disastrous choice
      as director. Do you really think Jackson is capable of comprehending
      and envisioning the key theme
      "With great power comes great responsibility"?

      Mariette