Re: Jackson v. Tolkien (was Re: [mythsoc] Robert Zemeckis Beowulf)

    Message 1 of 108 , Aug 17, 2007
      At 03:11 PM 8/17/2007 -0400, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      >I think Robin may have meant "a Boy's Own action adventure".

      Mutatis mutandis it's the same thing as far as this argument is concerned.
      "Boy's Own" are not intended as girl-welcoming much more than "boys only"
      would be, and I haven't seen any criticism of Jackson, as distinct from
      Tolkien, claiming that it's "Boy's Own" any more than "boys only." Both
      forms were charges made against Tolkien originally, but they haven't really
      been revived, except perhaps by people who'd still make them of Tolkien.
    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 108 of 108 , Dec 7, 2007
        In a message dated 12/7/07 9:41:39 AM, dbratman@... writes:

        > Very much the opposite opinion here. I don't recall anything harmful being
        > done to the text, but the image was definitely a problem. Tolkien says she was
        > "beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful." The only word in this
        > that Jackson seems to have followed was "terrible" - and he seems to be using
        > it in the sense of "scary and terrifying," rather than "eliciting awe" which
        > is what Tolkien presumably meant.
        >
        > Good point David! Beautiful and Terrible like an angel would have been more
        appropriate.