Bree Moots Past (& future?)

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2007
      That was Bree Moot 3: Illustrating Tolkien, with John as our guest of
      honor. Worth remembering at this time, as we were celebrating the
      forthcoming _Mr. Baggins_ as it was then titled--a work in progress
      detailing the history of _The Hobbit_, which is now finally about to
      be published in the U.S., ten years later. The Bree Moot was in '97,
      held in conjunction with the second Children's Theatre Company
      production of _The Hobbit_. You can check out the Bree Moot 3 info
      page at : http://www.tc.umn.edu/~d-lena/Bree%20Moot%203.html
      where you might learn that the fellow from Denmark was Lars-Terje
      Lysemose.

      Bree Moot 4 was also Mythcon XXX: Bree & Beyond: Exploring the
      Fantasy Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien & His Fellow Travelors, with guests
      of honor: Sylvia & Gary Hunnewell & Douglas A. Anderson, in Milwaukee.
      web-pages at http://www.tc.umn.edu/~d-lena/BreeMoot4.html

      Then there were Bree Moot 5: The Fellowship of Tolkien, with guest of
      honor Margaret M. Howes, April 2001 in St. Paul, MN, in conjunction
      with the University of St. Thomas conference, "Concerning Hobbits &
      Other Matters: Tolkien Across the Disciplines."
      web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~d-lena/BreeMoot.html

      There have been two proposals for Bree Moot 6 in the twin cities, one
      to focus on Elvish in the movies, a different one (after the first
      kind of fell through when the main organizer became a missionary to
      Asia) proposing a focus on musical interpretations of Tolkien. I
      won't do this by myself, so I'm awaiting a co-conspirator or three.
      I don't know if there are any proposals for Bree Moots in other
      locations, but Nancy Martsch would know.

      What we are having in the twin cities this fall is the _Fantasy
      Matters_ conference, being put on by some grad students at the U of
      MN. I had wondered if we could hold a Bree Moot, piggy-backing on
      the conference as we did at St. Thomas in '01, but it doesn't look to
      me as though that would work. However, I think the Rivendell Group
      might organize some evening "fannish" activities to supplement the
      more "academic" or scholarly day programs. I hope to bring this idea
      up at the next Rivendell meeting. http://www.tc.umn.edu/~d-lena/
      RIVENDELL.html

      On Aug 15, 2007, at 5:29 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:15 AM, David Emerson wrote:
      > > We did have a very nice BreeMoot here in ninety-something, but of
      > > course that required a much smaller planning effort (in fact, I
      > > think David Lenander may have done the whole thing himself).
      >
      > That would be BreeMoot 3, in 1997. A v. nice little gathering indeed.
      > I believe that's where I met David Salo and Lisa Starr, and got to
      > spend some time with David (E) and David (L) and Nancy (M), as well
      > as a visiting Dane whose name I don't remember who had a lot of
      > interesting information about Tolkien fandom in Europe. I also
      > remember debating definitions of fantasy with Ruth Berman, who took a
      > much more inclusive view than I did (and do). Have BreeMoots fallen
      > into abeyance, or have I just missed the announcements?
      >
      > --JDR

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.