Re: [mythsoc] Re: Mythcon 39

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 14, 2007
      On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:15 AM, David Emerson wrote:
      > We did have a very nice BreeMoot here in ninety-something, but of
      > course that required a much smaller planning effort (in fact, I
      > think David Lenander may have done the whole thing himself).

      That would be BreeMoot 3, in 1997. A v. nice little gathering indeed.
      I believe that's where I met David Salo and Lisa Starr, and got to
      spend some time with David (E) and David (L) and Nancy (M), as well
      as a visiting Dane whose name I don't remember who had a lot of
      interesting information about Tolkien fandom in Europe. I also
      remember debating definitions of fantasy with Ruth Berman, who took a
      much more inclusive view than I did (and do). Have BreeMoots fallen
      into abeyance, or have I just missed the announcements?

      --JDR
    • Anthony and Jessica
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2007
        Greetings all,
        As you all know the 39th Annual Mythopoeic Conference is taking place
        at Central Connecticut University, recently announced is Author Guest
        of Honor Sharan Newman http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html
        If you are able I ask your assistance. Those mythies who have attended
        a Mythcon, which most if not all of you at one time or another have, I
        have posted on our discussion groups yahoo group, to help bring
        interest and understanding of what exactly a mythcon is, this thread:

        If you can pop in an add your thoughts and experience with Mythcon to
        give those in the Northeast an understanding, who never have attended,
        I would be in your debt so to speak.

        Best,
        Anthony
      • Anthony and Jessica
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
          Greetings my fellow mythies,
          Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will be
          having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan Newman in
          the Author Guest of Honor role.
          Best,
          Anthony
          http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html
        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
            > Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will
            > be having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan
            > Newman in the Author Guest of Honor role.

            What a coincidence! Marjorie Burns is also scheduled to be the GOH at Tolkien 2008 at the University of Vermont, Burlington, next April.

            Jason
          • Anthony and Jessica
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
              I had no idea, and am not a big believer in coincidence ;-) but that
              is a bit odd but cool!

              > > Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will
              > > be having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan
              > > Newman in the Author Guest of Honor role.
              >
              > What a coincidence! Marjorie Burns is also scheduled to be the GOH
              at Tolkien 2008 at the University of Vermont, Burlington, next April.

              > Jason

            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2007
                Well, good for her. She's a good speaker, she just wrote one of the
                best books on Tolkien to come out in years, and she'll make a great
                G.o.H.
                --JDR