Re: [mythsoc] Re: Mythcon 39

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 14, 2007
      >Thank you, David [B], for a wonderful Mythcon this year, and thank you
      >David E. for a wonderful Mythcon back in Minnesota... (hmmm, have you
      >thought of holding another?).
      >
      >-- <big grin> --
      > -- Lynn --

      I regret that I cannot take credit for the previous Minnesota Mythcon, which occurred before I was even aware of it. :-(

      We did have a very nice BreeMoot here in ninety-something, but of course that required a much smaller planning effort (in fact, I think David Lenander may have done the whole thing himself).

      Personally, I feel torn about hosting a Mythcon here. On the one hand, it would be handy to have one in my own city. On the other hand, I would probably end up like you & David B this year, running around tending to things and hardly seeing any of the actual con. And even if I had the super-power of persuasion, and got someone else to do all the work, I would then feel too guilty to enjoy the weekend.

      But still, hosting a Mythcon in the Twin Cities is worth thinking about...............

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 14, 2007
        On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:15 AM, David Emerson wrote:
        > We did have a very nice BreeMoot here in ninety-something, but of
        > course that required a much smaller planning effort (in fact, I
        > think David Lenander may have done the whole thing himself).

        That would be BreeMoot 3, in 1997. A v. nice little gathering indeed.
        I believe that's where I met David Salo and Lisa Starr, and got to
        spend some time with David (E) and David (L) and Nancy (M), as well
        as a visiting Dane whose name I don't remember who had a lot of
        interesting information about Tolkien fandom in Europe. I also
        remember debating definitions of fantasy with Ruth Berman, who took a
        much more inclusive view than I did (and do). Have BreeMoots fallen
        into abeyance, or have I just missed the announcements?

        --JDR
      • Anthony and Jessica
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2007
          Greetings all,
          As you all know the 39th Annual Mythopoeic Conference is taking place
          at Central Connecticut University, recently announced is Author Guest
          of Honor Sharan Newman http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html
          If you are able I ask your assistance. Those mythies who have attended
          a Mythcon, which most if not all of you at one time or another have, I
          have posted on our discussion groups yahoo group, to help bring
          interest and understanding of what exactly a mythcon is, this thread:

          If you can pop in an add your thoughts and experience with Mythcon to
          give those in the Northeast an understanding, who never have attended,
          I would be in your debt so to speak.

          Best,
          Anthony
        • Anthony and Jessica
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
            Greetings my fellow mythies,
            Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will be
            having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan Newman in
            the Author Guest of Honor role.
            Best,
            Anthony
            http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html
          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
              > Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will
              > be having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan
              > Newman in the Author Guest of Honor role.

              What a coincidence! Marjorie Burns is also scheduled to be the GOH at Tolkien 2008 at the University of Vermont, Burlington, next April.

              Jason
            • Anthony and Jessica
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
                I had no idea, and am not a big believer in coincidence ;-) but that
                is a bit odd but cool!

                > > Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will
                > > be having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan
                > > Newman in the Author Guest of Honor role.
                >
                > What a coincidence! Marjorie Burns is also scheduled to be the GOH
                at Tolkien 2008 at the University of Vermont, Burlington, next April.

                > Jason

              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 9, 2007
                  Well, good for her. She's a good speaker, she just wrote one of the
                  best books on Tolkien to come out in years, and she'll make a great
                  G.o.H.
                  --JDR