Re: Mythcon 39

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13 3:27 PM
      Thanks David and Dave for both of your pearls of wisdom and
      reassurance in holding MC chair. It is most appreciative, --right now
      I am at a point of collecting suggestions, ideas, seeing what the cmte
      thinks and if they are doable. We may have done past events, but
      MythCon holds a very special place for us--so we want to give back to
      the community for having learned so much...ok its time for the sappy
      tomatoes and mushy vegetables and I am not ducking :-o

      Anthony

      > >And what about the program planning, carefully assuring that each
      member
      > >found at least one moment when the two things he or she most wanted to
      > >attend were on at the same time? That takes _work_, pal, and don't you
      > >forget it!
      > >
      > >- ex-Mythcon chair
      >
      > You're tellin' me!
      >
      > -- ex-Mythcon programming head
      >
      > (To clarify: my original comments to Anthony & Jessica were meant
      more to reassure them of the high probability that they will do a good
      job, rather than to encourage them to slack off!) :-)

      > emerdavid

      > PeoplePC Online
      > A better way to Internet
      > http://www.peoplepc.com

    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13 4:52 PM
        The planning and producing of a Mythcon lives in this position of
        "tension" - Mythcon is the people and if you have it, they will come
        (a certain core group, anyway) and make a fun event out of it. But if
        the committee drops the ball, the verses of Drunken Hobbit will reveal
        all!

        This is my job, as Steward for Mythopoeic Conferences: to make sure
        that the con committee (in this case, Anthony and Jessica et. al.)
        knows what's expected and necessary and help them avoid the pitfalls.

        Thank you, David, for a wonderful Mythcon this year, and thank you
        David E. for a wonderful Mythcon back in Minnesota... (hmmm, have you
        thought of holding another?).

        -- <big grin> --
        -- Lynn --
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 14 9:15 AM
          >Thank you, David [B], for a wonderful Mythcon this year, and thank you
          >David E. for a wonderful Mythcon back in Minnesota... (hmmm, have you
          >thought of holding another?).
          >
          >-- <big grin> --
          > -- Lynn --

          I regret that I cannot take credit for the previous Minnesota Mythcon, which occurred before I was even aware of it. :-(

          We did have a very nice BreeMoot here in ninety-something, but of course that required a much smaller planning effort (in fact, I think David Lenander may have done the whole thing himself).

          Personally, I feel torn about hosting a Mythcon here. On the one hand, it would be handy to have one in my own city. On the other hand, I would probably end up like you & David B this year, running around tending to things and hardly seeing any of the actual con. And even if I had the super-power of persuasion, and got someone else to do all the work, I would then feel too guilty to enjoy the weekend.

          But still, hosting a Mythcon in the Twin Cities is worth thinking about...............

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 14 1:04 PM
            On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:15 AM, David Emerson wrote:
            > We did have a very nice BreeMoot here in ninety-something, but of
            > course that required a much smaller planning effort (in fact, I
            > think David Lenander may have done the whole thing himself).

            That would be BreeMoot 3, in 1997. A v. nice little gathering indeed.
            I believe that's where I met David Salo and Lisa Starr, and got to
            spend some time with David (E) and David (L) and Nancy (M), as well
            as a visiting Dane whose name I don't remember who had a lot of
            interesting information about Tolkien fandom in Europe. I also
            remember debating definitions of fantasy with Ruth Berman, who took a
            much more inclusive view than I did (and do). Have BreeMoots fallen
            into abeyance, or have I just missed the announcements?

            --JDR
          • Anthony and Jessica
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2007
              Greetings all,
              As you all know the 39th Annual Mythopoeic Conference is taking place
              at Central Connecticut University, recently announced is Author Guest
              of Honor Sharan Newman http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html
              If you are able I ask your assistance. Those mythies who have attended
              a Mythcon, which most if not all of you at one time or another have, I
              have posted on our discussion groups yahoo group, to help bring
              interest and understanding of what exactly a mythcon is, this thread:

              If you can pop in an add your thoughts and experience with Mythcon to
              give those in the Northeast an understanding, who never have attended,
              I would be in your debt so to speak.

              Best,
              Anthony
            • Anthony and Jessica
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
                Greetings my fellow mythies,
                Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will be
                having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan Newman in
                the Author Guest of Honor role.
                Best,
                Anthony
                http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html
              • Jason Fisher
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
                  > Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will
                  > be having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan
                  > Newman in the Author Guest of Honor role.

                  What a coincidence! Marjorie Burns is also scheduled to be the GOH at Tolkien 2008 at the University of Vermont, Burlington, next April.

                  Jason
                • Anthony and Jessica
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
                    I had no idea, and am not a big believer in coincidence ;-) but that
                    is a bit odd but cool!

                    > > Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will
                    > > be having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan
                    > > Newman in the Author Guest of Honor role.
                    >
                    > What a coincidence! Marjorie Burns is also scheduled to be the GOH
                    at Tolkien 2008 at the University of Vermont, Burlington, next April.

                    > Jason

                  • John D Rateliff
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 9, 2007
                      Well, good for her. She's a good speaker, she just wrote one of the
                      best books on Tolkien to come out in years, and she'll make a great
                      G.o.H.
                      --JDR