Re: [mythsoc] Re: Mythcon 39

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
      Having served on the committee of one Mythcon (#30, in Milwaukee), as well as several Minicons, and chaired a small Minneapolis convention for a few years, I offer one piece of advice to Anthony & Jessica:

      Do what you can, and if you come up with fun ideas and are able to implement them, great. But never forget that the convention is the people. Even if all you do is arrange for the site and publish the date, people will come, they will do the things they always do at Mythcons, they will have a good time.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
        At 11:29 AM 8/13/2007 -0500, David Emerson wrote:

        >Having served on the committee of one Mythcon (#30, in Milwaukee), as well
        >as several Minicons, and chaired a small Minneapolis convention for a few
        >years, I offer one piece of advice to Anthony & Jessica:
        >
        >Do what you can, and if you come up with fun ideas and are able to implement
        >them, great. But never forget that the convention is the people. Even if all
        >you do is arrange for the site and publish the date, people will come, they
        >will do the things they always do at Mythcons, they will have a good time.

        In a sense this is true. Except for coming up with good topics for the
        theme (and Anthony & Jessica have already done that) and panels, and
        managing an aesthetically pleasing flow of events especially in the
        evening, very little that the committee does makes the convention special.

        What we do is lay the groundwork on which the special things can happen.
        But it still has to be laid.

        Consider:

        How did all those nummy treats get to the hospitality suite? A lot of
        shopping, and a lot of sweat carrying things up stairs, that's how.

        How did we have functioning AV equipment for the papers that needed it, and
        the musical talks and the Saturday night programming and the film program?
        A lot of pre-con planning, that's how. (And in fact there was a serious
        glitch in one of those items, that only turned up on the day. But we
        worked around it, and you'd never know there was a problem.)

        And what about the program planning, carefully assuring that each member
        found at least one moment when the two things he or she most wanted to
        attend were on at the same time? That takes _work_, pal, and don't you
        forget it!

        - ex-Mythcon chair
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
          >And what about the program planning, carefully assuring that each member
          >found at least one moment when the two things he or she most wanted to
          >attend were on at the same time? That takes _work_, pal, and don't you
          >forget it!
          >
          >- ex-Mythcon chair

          You're tellin' me!

          -- ex-Mythcon programming head

          (To clarify: my original comments to Anthony & Jessica were meant more to reassure them of the high probability that they will do a good job, rather than to encourage them to slack off!) :-)

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Anthony and Jessica
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
            Thanks David and Dave for both of your pearls of wisdom and
            reassurance in holding MC chair. It is most appreciative, --right now
            I am at a point of collecting suggestions, ideas, seeing what the cmte
            thinks and if they are doable. We may have done past events, but
            MythCon holds a very special place for us--so we want to give back to
            the community for having learned so much...ok its time for the sappy
            tomatoes and mushy vegetables and I am not ducking :-o

            Anthony

            > >And what about the program planning, carefully assuring that each
            member
            > >found at least one moment when the two things he or she most wanted to
            > >attend were on at the same time? That takes _work_, pal, and don't you
            > >forget it!
            > >
            > >- ex-Mythcon chair
            >
            > You're tellin' me!
            >
            > -- ex-Mythcon programming head
            >
            > (To clarify: my original comments to Anthony & Jessica were meant
            more to reassure them of the high probability that they will do a good
            job, rather than to encourage them to slack off!) :-)

            > emerdavid

            > PeoplePC Online
            > A better way to Internet
            > http://www.peoplepc.com

          • Lynn Maudlin
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
              The planning and producing of a Mythcon lives in this position of
              "tension" - Mythcon is the people and if you have it, they will come
              (a certain core group, anyway) and make a fun event out of it. But if
              the committee drops the ball, the verses of Drunken Hobbit will reveal
              all!

              This is my job, as Steward for Mythopoeic Conferences: to make sure
              that the con committee (in this case, Anthony and Jessica et. al.)
              knows what's expected and necessary and help them avoid the pitfalls.

              Thank you, David, for a wonderful Mythcon this year, and thank you
              David E. for a wonderful Mythcon back in Minnesota... (hmmm, have you
              thought of holding another?).

              -- <big grin> --
              -- Lynn --
            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 14, 2007
                >Thank you, David [B], for a wonderful Mythcon this year, and thank you
                >David E. for a wonderful Mythcon back in Minnesota... (hmmm, have you
                >thought of holding another?).
                >
                >-- <big grin> --
                > -- Lynn --

                I regret that I cannot take credit for the previous Minnesota Mythcon, which occurred before I was even aware of it. :-(

                We did have a very nice BreeMoot here in ninety-something, but of course that required a much smaller planning effort (in fact, I think David Lenander may have done the whole thing himself).

                Personally, I feel torn about hosting a Mythcon here. On the one hand, it would be handy to have one in my own city. On the other hand, I would probably end up like you & David B this year, running around tending to things and hardly seeing any of the actual con. And even if I had the super-power of persuasion, and got someone else to do all the work, I would then feel too guilty to enjoy the weekend.

                But still, hosting a Mythcon in the Twin Cities is worth thinking about...............

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 14, 2007
                  On Aug 14, 2007, at 9:15 AM, David Emerson wrote:
                  > We did have a very nice BreeMoot here in ninety-something, but of
                  > course that required a much smaller planning effort (in fact, I
                  > think David Lenander may have done the whole thing himself).

                  That would be BreeMoot 3, in 1997. A v. nice little gathering indeed.
                  I believe that's where I met David Salo and Lisa Starr, and got to
                  spend some time with David (E) and David (L) and Nancy (M), as well
                  as a visiting Dane whose name I don't remember who had a lot of
                  interesting information about Tolkien fandom in Europe. I also
                  remember debating definitions of fantasy with Ruth Berman, who took a
                  much more inclusive view than I did (and do). Have BreeMoots fallen
                  into abeyance, or have I just missed the announcements?

                  --JDR
                • Anthony and Jessica
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Greetings all,
                    As you all know the 39th Annual Mythopoeic Conference is taking place
                    at Central Connecticut University, recently announced is Author Guest
                    of Honor Sharan Newman http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html
                    If you are able I ask your assistance. Those mythies who have attended
                    a Mythcon, which most if not all of you at one time or another have, I
                    have posted on our discussion groups yahoo group, to help bring
                    interest and understanding of what exactly a mythcon is, this thread:

                    If you can pop in an add your thoughts and experience with Mythcon to
                    give those in the Northeast an understanding, who never have attended,
                    I would be in your debt so to speak.

                    Best,
                    Anthony
                  • Anthony and Jessica
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
                      Greetings my fellow mythies,
                      Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will be
                      having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan Newman in
                      the Author Guest of Honor role.
                      Best,
                      Anthony
                      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon39.html
                    • Jason Fisher
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
                        > Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will
                        > be having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan
                        > Newman in the Author Guest of Honor role.

                        What a coincidence! Marjorie Burns is also scheduled to be the GOH at Tolkien 2008 at the University of Vermont, Burlington, next April.

                        Jason
                      • Anthony and Jessica
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 8, 2007
                          I had no idea, and am not a big believer in coincidence ;-) but that
                          is a bit odd but cool!

                          > > Just a note that we have rounded out the guests of honor and will
                          > > be having Marjorie Burns as Scholar Guest of Honor and Sharan
                          > > Newman in the Author Guest of Honor role.
                          >
                          > What a coincidence! Marjorie Burns is also scheduled to be the GOH
                          at Tolkien 2008 at the University of Vermont, Burlington, next April.

                          > Jason

                        • John D Rateliff
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 9, 2007
                            Well, good for her. She's a good speaker, she just wrote one of the
                            best books on Tolkien to come out in years, and she'll make a great
                            G.o.H.
                            --JDR