Re: Mythcon 38 / Silmarillion?

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 13, 2007
      --Not everything appears in HoME:

      Yes, and that just leaves scope for the next round
      of scholarship, I suppose. Eventually somebody
      will spend the requisite weeks in the Bodleian....
      But it's important to keep in mind that HoME was
      never intended to serve this purpose: its
      intention was to trace the development of the
      legendarium over JRRT's life.

      HoME does allow source-tracing for the great
      majority of the text. The biggest gaps are those
      sections where CRT doesn't print the source, but
      simply lists 'significant' editorial changes, as
      in the Luthien chapter, and where (it is
      deducible) a given text carries a layer of later
      authorial emendations not enumerated. (The last
      chapters are not really a 'gap' in our knowledge,
      since there the editorial hand is almost certainly
      the source of untraceable material).

      Some of the big questions I'm afraid will never be
      answered, though, unless CRT breaks his silence-
      the Why? questions. Why for example the 1958
      version of the death of the Trees was not
      followed, or why the 'Feanor' chapters were so
      drastically abridged?
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 24, 2007
        Sorry folks; that should have gone to Ellie, not the list. Apologies
        all round.
        --JDR