Re: Mythcon 38 Report

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
      I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
      big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
      family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
      with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
      that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

      And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
      engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

      Very special event...
      -- Lynn --

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Berni Phillips" <bernip@...> wrote:

      > Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.
      >
      > They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal
      sites are
      > fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies.
      (And
      > sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going
      to last
      > year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
      > committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)
      >
      > the Bratwife

    • Ginger McElwee
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
        Lynn said:

        >I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
        >big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
        >family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
        >with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
        >that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

        >And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
        >engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

        I think you are right, Lynn. This was my third Mythcon, and I can speak to
        both of your points. The people at Mythcon are amazingly friendly to new
        people. You are so friendly and welcoming that after only three Mythcons, I
        feel some of the "family reunion" quality. I love attending because the
        people are great, and I always go home with a list of books I have somehow
        missed.

        Mythcon was really good this year. I especially liked the music (from
        Beatles to Celtic) and the English Country dancing. From the papers and
        panels, I was impressed with G. Ronald Murphy and with Diana Glyer. (Of
        course with books like theirs to discuss, how could they go wrong?)

        Thanks for all the hard work that went into this year's Mythcon.

        Ginger McElwee

      • Anthony and Jessica
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
          Hey all,
          What fabulous memories and thoughts on the whole of it, many thanks
          Berni for the wonderful report, I will make sure Jessie reads it and
          thoughts on T-shirts, I must agree with Lynn and all, and stress this
          to newer mythies, this was our 3rd MythCon and since the 1st one we
          attended in Nashville we have deep heartfelt ties to everyone, it is
          as leaving an extended family when we sing the last songs at closing
          ceremonies--since meeting everyone and getting to know them I find it
          very hard to leave and wish we could do it all over again now rather
          than in a year....well Lynn, Ellie and the Stewards made sure I will
          want to do it again...hopefully by chairing MC 39 and the plans we are
          working out for it will show either I am incredibly nuts or happy for
          the job...I think a lil of both ;-)

          Anthony