Re: [mythsoc] Re: Mythcon 38 Report

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
      Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.

      They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal sites are
      fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies. (And
      sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going to last
      year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
      committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)

      the Bratwife

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
        I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
        big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
        family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
        with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
        that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

        And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
        engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

        Very special event...
        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Berni Phillips" <bernip@...> wrote:

        > Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.
        >
        > They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal
        sites are
        > fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies.
        (And
        > sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going
        to last
        > year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
        > committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)
        >
        > the Bratwife

      • Ginger McElwee
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
          Lynn said:

          >I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
          >big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
          >family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
          >with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
          >that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

          >And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
          >engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

          I think you are right, Lynn. This was my third Mythcon, and I can speak to
          both of your points. The people at Mythcon are amazingly friendly to new
          people. You are so friendly and welcoming that after only three Mythcons, I
          feel some of the "family reunion" quality. I love attending because the
          people are great, and I always go home with a list of books I have somehow
          missed.

          Mythcon was really good this year. I especially liked the music (from
          Beatles to Celtic) and the English Country dancing. From the papers and
          panels, I was impressed with G. Ronald Murphy and with Diana Glyer. (Of
          course with books like theirs to discuss, how could they go wrong?)

          Thanks for all the hard work that went into this year's Mythcon.

          Ginger McElwee

        • Anthony and Jessica
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
            Hey all,
            What fabulous memories and thoughts on the whole of it, many thanks
            Berni for the wonderful report, I will make sure Jessie reads it and
            thoughts on T-shirts, I must agree with Lynn and all, and stress this
            to newer mythies, this was our 3rd MythCon and since the 1st one we
            attended in Nashville we have deep heartfelt ties to everyone, it is
            as leaving an extended family when we sing the last songs at closing
            ceremonies--since meeting everyone and getting to know them I find it
            very hard to leave and wish we could do it all over again now rather
            than in a year....well Lynn, Ellie and the Stewards made sure I will
            want to do it again...hopefully by chairing MC 39 and the plans we are
            working out for it will show either I am incredibly nuts or happy for
            the job...I think a lil of both ;-)

            Anthony