Re: Mythcon 38 Report

  • Cole C Matson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
      Aha, so THAT'S a Mythcon! Further incentive to start saving my pennies.

      Thanks for the thorough (and thoroughly entertaining) report.

      Cole
    • Robin Reid
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
        Cool--I will go do so and friend you back!

        Robin

        (because actually I'm much more likely to be participating on LJ than a
        listserv)

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
          Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.

          They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal sites are
          fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies. (And
          sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going to last
          year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
          committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)

          the Bratwife

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
            I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
            big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
            family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
            with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
            that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

            And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
            engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

            Very special event...
            -- Lynn --

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Berni Phillips" <bernip@...> wrote:

            > Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.
            >
            > They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal
            sites are
            > fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies.
            (And
            > sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going
            to last
            > year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
            > committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)
            >
            > the Bratwife

          • Ginger McElwee
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
              Lynn said:

              >I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
              >big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
              >family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
              >with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
              >that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

              >And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
              >engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

              I think you are right, Lynn. This was my third Mythcon, and I can speak to
              both of your points. The people at Mythcon are amazingly friendly to new
              people. You are so friendly and welcoming that after only three Mythcons, I
              feel some of the "family reunion" quality. I love attending because the
              people are great, and I always go home with a list of books I have somehow
              missed.

              Mythcon was really good this year. I especially liked the music (from
              Beatles to Celtic) and the English Country dancing. From the papers and
              panels, I was impressed with G. Ronald Murphy and with Diana Glyer. (Of
              course with books like theirs to discuss, how could they go wrong?)

              Thanks for all the hard work that went into this year's Mythcon.

              Ginger McElwee

            • Anthony and Jessica
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                Hey all,
                What fabulous memories and thoughts on the whole of it, many thanks
                Berni for the wonderful report, I will make sure Jessie reads it and
                thoughts on T-shirts, I must agree with Lynn and all, and stress this
                to newer mythies, this was our 3rd MythCon and since the 1st one we
                attended in Nashville we have deep heartfelt ties to everyone, it is
                as leaving an extended family when we sing the last songs at closing
                ceremonies--since meeting everyone and getting to know them I find it
                very hard to leave and wish we could do it all over again now rather
                than in a year....well Lynn, Ellie and the Stewards made sure I will
                want to do it again...hopefully by chairing MC 39 and the plans we are
                working out for it will show either I am incredibly nuts or happy for
                the job...I think a lil of both ;-)

                Anthony