Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [mythsoc] Mythcon 38 Report

Expand Messages
  • Robin Reid
    Wow--is there a mythsoc group on LJ? Not just individual people over there? I m robin_anne_reid on LJ, and would love to know where you all are! Robin _____
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Wow--is there a mythsoc group on LJ? Not just individual people over there?


      I'm robin_anne_reid on LJ, and would love to know where you all are!

      Robin


      _____

      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Sara Ciborski
      Sent: Sun 8/12/2007 9:31 AM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon 38 Report



      I agree (about live journal). I would just express the hope that if a
      contributor to LJ offers there an opinion or perspective or
      information--anything of substance, originality, and (obviously) of
      mythsoc interest--that he or she post this also to the regular
      discussion group. Thanks.
      Sara Ciborski

      David Emerson wrote:
      >> Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:
      >>
      >
      >
      > And I thank you very kindly for it.
      >
      > Yes, yes, yes, I know there are reports on LiveJournal, but I seem to have
      become an old fogy who finds LJ terribly confusing and inconvenient (why are
      there all those links? why doesn't anybody just say who they are? who are
      all these people who have time to write all this stuff?). Okay, so I joined
      LJ just to join the Mythsoc "community" but I doubt I will ever have any
      kind of online presence there. Some days I think I'm doing pretty good just
      to answer my email. :-)
      >
      > You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living.
      >
      > emerdavid
      >
      > ________________________________________
      > PeoplePC Online
      > A better way to Internet
      > http://www.peoplepc <http://www.peoplepc.com/> .com
      >
      >
      > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc
      <http://www.mythsoc.org/> org
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >






      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Ellen
      Robin, If you search on mythopoeic society in interests you will find several of us. And yes, there is now a group as of a few days ago. Ellen Denham (on lj
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Robin,

        If you search on "mythopoeic society" in interests you will find several
        of us. And yes, there is now a group as of a few days ago.

        Ellen Denham (on lj as ellen_denham)

        Robin Reid wrote:
        >
        > Wow--is there a mythsoc group on LJ? Not just individual people over
        > there?
        >
        > I'm robin_anne_reid on LJ, and would love to know where you all are!
        >
        > Robin
        >
        >
        > _____
        >
        > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> on
        > behalf of Sara Ciborski
        > Sent: Sun 8/12/2007 9:31 AM
        > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon 38 Report
        >
        > I agree (about live journal). I would just express the hope that if a
        > contributor to LJ offers there an opinion or perspective or
        > information--anything of substance, originality, and (obviously) of
        > mythsoc interest--that he or she post this also to the regular
        > discussion group. Thanks.
        > Sara Ciborski
        >
        > David Emerson wrote:
        > >> Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:
        > >>
        > >
        > >
        > > And I thank you very kindly for it.
        > >
        > > Yes, yes, yes, I know there are reports on LiveJournal, but I seem
        > to have
        > become an old fogy who finds LJ terribly confusing and inconvenient
        > (why are
        > there all those links? why doesn't anybody just say who they are? who are
        > all these people who have time to write all this stuff?). Okay, so I
        > joined
        > LJ just to join the Mythsoc "community" but I doubt I will ever have any
        > kind of online presence there. Some days I think I'm doing pretty good
        > just
        > to answer my email. :-)
        > >
        > > You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living.
        > >
        > > emerdavid
        > >
        > > ________________________________________
        > > PeoplePC Online
        > > A better way to Internet
        > > http://www.peoplepc <http://www.peoplepc.com/
        > <http://www.peoplepc.com/>> .com
        > >
        > >
        > > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc
        > <http://www.mythsoc.org/ <http://www.mythsoc.org/>> org
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
        >


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Cole C Matson
        Aha, so THAT S a Mythcon! Further incentive to start saving my pennies. Thanks for the thorough (and thoroughly entertaining) report. Cole
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Aha, so THAT'S a Mythcon! Further incentive to start saving my pennies.

          Thanks for the thorough (and thoroughly entertaining) report.

          Cole
        • Robin Reid
          Cool--I will go do so and friend you back! Robin (because actually I m much more likely to be participating on LJ than a listserv) _____ From:
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Cool--I will go do so and friend you back!

            Robin

            (because actually I'm much more likely to be participating on LJ than a
            listserv)

            _____

            From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Ellen
            Sent: Sun 8/12/2007 12:21 PM
            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon 38 Report



            Robin,

            If you search on "mythopoeic society" in interests you will find several
            of us. And yes, there is now a group as of a few days ago.

            Ellen Denham (on lj as ellen_denham)

            Robin Reid wrote:
            >
            > Wow--is there a mythsoc group on LJ? Not just individual people over
            > there?
            >
            > I'm robin_anne_reid on LJ, and would love to know where you all are!
            >
            > Robin
            >
            >
            > _____
            >
            > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com
            <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> on
            > behalf of Sara Ciborski
            > Sent: Sun 8/12/2007 9:31 AM
            > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com
            <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon 38 Report
            >
            > I agree (about live journal). I would just express the hope that if a
            > contributor to LJ offers there an opinion or perspective or
            > information--anything of substance, originality, and (obviously) of
            > mythsoc interest--that he or she post this also to the regular
            > discussion group. Thanks.
            > Sara Ciborski
            >
            > David Emerson wrote:
            > >> Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:
            > >>
            > >
            > >
            > > And I thank you very kindly for it.
            > >
            > > Yes, yes, yes, I know there are reports on LiveJournal, but I seem
            > to have
            > become an old fogy who finds LJ terribly confusing and inconvenient
            > (why are
            > there all those links? why doesn't anybody just say who they are? who are
            > all these people who have time to write all this stuff?). Okay, so I
            > joined
            > LJ just to join the Mythsoc "community" but I doubt I will ever have any
            > kind of online presence there. Some days I think I'm doing pretty good
            > just
            > to answer my email. :-)
            > >
            > > You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living.
            > >
            > > emerdavid
            > >
            > > ________________________________________
            > > PeoplePC Online
            > > A better way to Internet
            > > http://www.peoplepc <http://www.peoplepc/> <http://www.peoplepc
            <http://www.peoplepc.com/> .com/
            > <http://www.peoplepc <http://www.peoplepc.com/> .com/>> .com
            > >
            > >
            > > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc
            <http://www.mythsoc/>
            > <http://www.mythsoc <http://www.mythsoc.org/> org/ <http://www.mythsoc
            <http://www.mythsoc.org/> org/>> org
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >
            >

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Berni Phillips
            Hey, if I ve made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I ve done my job. They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal sites are fun because
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.

              They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal sites are
              fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies. (And
              sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going to last
              year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
              committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)

              the Bratwife

              ----- Original Message -----
              From: "Cole C Matson" <ncm215@...>


              > Aha, so THAT'S a Mythcon! Further incentive to start saving my pennies.
              >
              > Thanks for the thorough (and thoroughly entertaining) report.
              >
              > Cole
              >
            • Lynn Maudlin
              I ve been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A big part of it is the family reunion quality to it, heavy on the family members you
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
                big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
                family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
                with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
                that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

                And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
                engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

                Very special event...
                -- Lynn --

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Berni Phillips" <bernip@...> wrote:
                >
                > Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.
                >
                > They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal
                sites are
                > fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies.
                (And
                > sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going
                to last
                > year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
                > committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)
                >
                > the Bratwife
                >
                > ----- Original Message -----
                > From: "Cole C Matson" <ncm215@...>
                >
                >
                > > Aha, so THAT'S a Mythcon! Further incentive to start saving my
                pennies.
                > >
                > > Thanks for the thorough (and thoroughly entertaining) report.
                > >
                > > Cole
                > >
                >
              • Ginger McElwee
                ... I think you are right, Lynn. This was my third Mythcon, and I can speak to both of your points. The people at Mythcon are amazingly friendly to new
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  Lynn said:

                  >I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
                  >big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
                  >family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
                  >with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
                  >that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

                  >And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
                  >engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).



                  I think you are right, Lynn. This was my third Mythcon, and I can speak to
                  both of your points. The people at Mythcon are amazingly friendly to new
                  people. You are so friendly and welcoming that after only three Mythcons, I
                  feel some of the "family reunion" quality. I love attending because the
                  people are great, and I always go home with a list of books I have somehow
                  missed.

                  Mythcon was really good this year. I especially liked the music (from
                  Beatles to Celtic) and the English Country dancing. From the papers and
                  panels, I was impressed with G. Ronald Murphy and with Diana Glyer. (Of
                  course with books like theirs to discuss, how could they go wrong?)

                  Thanks for all the hard work that went into this year's Mythcon.

                  Ginger McElwee









                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Anthony and Jessica
                  Hey all, What fabulous memories and thoughts on the whole of it, many thanks Berni for the wonderful report, I will make sure Jessie reads it and thoughts on
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hey all,
                    What fabulous memories and thoughts on the whole of it, many thanks
                    Berni for the wonderful report, I will make sure Jessie reads it and
                    thoughts on T-shirts, I must agree with Lynn and all, and stress this
                    to newer mythies, this was our 3rd MythCon and since the 1st one we
                    attended in Nashville we have deep heartfelt ties to everyone, it is
                    as leaving an extended family when we sing the last songs at closing
                    ceremonies--since meeting everyone and getting to know them I find it
                    very hard to leave and wish we could do it all over again now rather
                    than in a year....well Lynn, Ellie and the Stewards made sure I will
                    want to do it again...hopefully by chairing MC 39 and the plans we are
                    working out for it will show either I am incredibly nuts or happy for
                    the job...I think a lil of both ;-)


                    Anthony


                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ginger McElwee" <gingermc@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Lynn said:
                    >
                    > >I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
                    > >big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
                    > >family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
                    > >with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
                    > >that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.
                    >
                    > >And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
                    > >engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > I think you are right, Lynn. This was my third Mythcon, and I can
                    speak to
                    > both of your points. The people at Mythcon are amazingly friendly
                    to new
                    > people. You are so friendly and welcoming that after only three
                    Mythcons, I
                    > feel some of the "family reunion" quality. I love attending because the
                    > people are great, and I always go home with a list of books I have
                    somehow
                    > missed.
                    >
                    > Mythcon was really good this year. I especially liked the music (from
                    > Beatles to Celtic) and the English Country dancing. From the papers and
                    > panels, I was impressed with G. Ronald Murphy and with Diana Glyer. (Of
                    > course with books like theirs to discuss, how could they go wrong?)
                    >
                    > Thanks for all the hard work that went into this year's Mythcon.
                    >
                    > Ginger McElwee
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.