Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon 38 Report

  • Sara Ciborski
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
      I agree (about live journal). I would just express the hope that if a
      contributor to LJ offers there an opinion or perspective or
      information--anything of substance, originality, and (obviously) of
      mythsoc interest--that he or she post this also to the regular
      discussion group. Thanks.
      Sara Ciborski

      David Emerson wrote:
      >> Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:
      >>

      > And I thank you very kindly for it.
      >
      > Yes, yes, yes, I know there are reports on LiveJournal, but I seem to have become an old fogy who finds LJ terribly confusing and inconvenient (why are there all those links? why doesn't anybody just say who they are? who are all these people who have time to write all this stuff?). Okay, so I joined LJ just to join the Mythsoc "community" but I doubt I will ever have any kind of online presence there. Some days I think I'm doing pretty good just to answer my email. :-)
      >
      > You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living.
      >
      > emerdavid

    • Robin Reid
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
        Wow--is there a mythsoc group on LJ? Not just individual people over there?

        I'm robin_anne_reid on LJ, and would love to know where you all are!

        Robin

        _____

        David Emerson wrote:
        >> Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:
        >>

        > And I thank you very kindly for it.
        >
        > Yes, yes, yes, I know there are reports on LiveJournal, but I seem to have
        become an old fogy who finds LJ terribly confusing and inconvenient (why are
        there all those links? why doesn't anybody just say who they are? who are
        all these people who have time to write all this stuff?). Okay, so I joined
        LJ just to join the Mythsoc "community" but I doubt I will ever have any
        kind of online presence there. Some days I think I'm doing pretty good just
        to answer my email. :-)

        > You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living.
        >
        > emerdavid

      • Ellen
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
          Robin,

          If you search on "mythopoeic society" in interests you will find several
          of us. And yes, there is now a group as of a few days ago.

          Ellen Denham (on lj as ellen_denham)

          Robin Reid wrote:

          > Wow--is there a mythsoc group on LJ? Not just individual people over
          > there?
          >
          > I'm robin_anne_reid on LJ, and would love to know where you all are!
          >
          > Robin
          >

          > _____

        • Cole C Matson
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
            Aha, so THAT'S a Mythcon! Further incentive to start saving my pennies.

            Thanks for the thorough (and thoroughly entertaining) report.

            Cole
          • Robin Reid
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
              Cool--I will go do so and friend you back!

              Robin

              (because actually I'm much more likely to be participating on LJ than a
              listserv)

              _____

              <http://www.peoplepc.com/> .com/

              <http://www.mythsoc.org/> org/>> org
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
                Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.

                They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal sites are
                fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies. (And
                sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going to last
                year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
                committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)

                the Bratwife

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                  I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
                  big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
                  family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
                  with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
                  that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

                  And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
                  engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

                  Very special event...
                  -- Lynn --

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Berni Phillips" <bernip@...> wrote:

                  > Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.
                  >
                  > They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal
                  sites are
                  > fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies.
                  (And
                  > sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going
                  to last
                  > year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
                  > committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)
                  >
                  > the Bratwife

                • Ginger McElwee
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                    Lynn said:

                    >I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
                    >big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
                    >family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
                    >with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
                    >that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

                    >And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
                    >engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

                    I think you are right, Lynn. This was my third Mythcon, and I can speak to
                    both of your points. The people at Mythcon are amazingly friendly to new
                    people. You are so friendly and welcoming that after only three Mythcons, I
                    feel some of the "family reunion" quality. I love attending because the
                    people are great, and I always go home with a list of books I have somehow
                    missed.

                    Mythcon was really good this year. I especially liked the music (from
                    Beatles to Celtic) and the English Country dancing. From the papers and
                    panels, I was impressed with G. Ronald Murphy and with Diana Glyer. (Of
                    course with books like theirs to discuss, how could they go wrong?)

                    Thanks for all the hard work that went into this year's Mythcon.

                    Ginger McElwee

                  • Anthony and Jessica
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                      Hey all,
                      What fabulous memories and thoughts on the whole of it, many thanks
                      Berni for the wonderful report, I will make sure Jessie reads it and
                      thoughts on T-shirts, I must agree with Lynn and all, and stress this
                      to newer mythies, this was our 3rd MythCon and since the 1st one we
                      attended in Nashville we have deep heartfelt ties to everyone, it is
                      as leaving an extended family when we sing the last songs at closing
                      ceremonies--since meeting everyone and getting to know them I find it
                      very hard to leave and wish we could do it all over again now rather
                      than in a year....well Lynn, Ellie and the Stewards made sure I will
                      want to do it again...hopefully by chairing MC 39 and the plans we are
                      working out for it will show either I am incredibly nuts or happy for
                      the job...I think a lil of both ;-)

                      Anthony