Mythcon 38 Report

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2007
      Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:

      Mythcon Merriment

      Mythcon 38 was held in beautiful downtown Burb-- er, uh -- Berkeley. (And if you're old
      enough to get that joke, you are the age of the average Mythcon attendee.) Guests of honor
      were the lovely and talented Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman, but you knew that.

      After the giddiness that is the check-in, many Mythcon attendees crowded into room 102 more
      than half an hour early for the first book discussion: _Harry Potter and the Deathly
      Hallows_. This was a no-holds barred, don't worry about spoilers, discussion to get it all
      out of your system right away. And so we did.

      At the dinner, we discovered what would be the main annoyance of the conference. Since
      Clark Kerr Conference Center can't boast the poor cuisine and weak coffee which has
      characterized so many other Mythcons (I still shudder at the thought of the coffee at some
      of them), it had to improvise its own handicap. In true hippie tree-hugging fashion,
      Berkeley stepped up to the challenge. Every table was ornamented with a Baby Ent, an
      Entling potted plant which was cleverly devised to have a large ball of foliage set
      precisely at head height, guaranteeing to block your view of others at your table. It was
      amusing seeing how various tables dealt with this. No fan of Tolkien would unceremoniously
      dump it off the table, but most moved it, either from place to place on a not-quite full
      table, or off to the side table with the drinks, where it would sit forlornly as if wanting
      its mama. But I digress. And anthropomorphize.

      (Hey, speaking of digressions, the Crickhollow Mythies from Reno had great T-shirts. The
      front said something like, "If I can't digress, I quit." On the back it said,
      "Crickhollow: a little eating group with a reading problem." That is certainly
      Khazad-dum's unwritten motto as well.)

      The Procession and opening ceremonies were moved to Friday night as the GOH had made it
      clear that they were soooo not morning people. This was fine by me. I wore the costume
      I'd made in 1988, the last Mythcon chaired by the hubby. As this costume consists of about
      10 pounds of fake velour (yes, fake fake velvet) with an attached cape and the only lace I ever
      tatted (or will -- I gave up tatting as too hand-cramping), I was happy to find I would wear it in the
      cool of the evening. Who knew that as the weekend progressed, the cool of the evening would
      extend into the afternoons as well?

      The opening ceremonies featured a dramatic reading from _The Fall of the Kings_. Ms.
      Sherman narrated, Sherwood Smith read the crusty old lecturer, Chris Gilson was one of the
      young students, I think I'm forgetting someone else (Arden Smith probably), and, in the sort of
      typecasting which he revels in, David Bratman read the pedantic old fogie. (I type that with
      love, dear.)

      Papers, panels, and readings made up the rest of my Mythcon. Others have written of the
      broad humor that was Lord of the Ringos, the Beatles' Tolkien movie. I found it very
      funny, even though I didn't know half the songs sung by our quartet, Mike Foster and Lynn Maudlin
      on guitar with Anne Osborn (insert last name here) and Ellen Denham as back-up, adding the
      perfect touches.

      I did not go in for my usual stint with Golfimbul because I was still recovering from a
      fall and thought that exerting myself would be a really bad idea. It seemed to be well
      attended, and in closing ceremonies it was revealed that many newbies had distinguished
      themselves upon the field of valor. (Two of Diana Glyer's students came up with her and at
      least one won a Golfimbul award. Not bad -- they study, babysit, and are athletic.) Kudos
      to Bonnie Callahan for providing a new orc's head since Master Hunnewell maintains the
      original in his Midwestern home as if it were his Precious.

      The MFA/MSA announcement has been made so I won't repeat that. I was charmed to meet Susan
      Palwick, whom I've long admired, and was sorry her _The Necessary Beggar_ didn't win. (She
      has a blog, fans -- http://improbableoptimisms.blogspot.com/ a.k.a."rickety contrivances of doing good."
      She writes about her work as a volunteer hospital chaplain in addition to writing,
      teaching, and, of course, cats.) I admit I really loved McKillip's _Solstice Wood_ and
      wanted to run away and join the fiber guild in the book, but she has enough lions by now
      that they must constitute a fairly large pride. G. Ronald Murphy was genuinely touched to
      receive his second lion, and I really enjoyed his presentation the next morning on "The
      Holy Grail in Wolfram's _Parzival_."

      I'm very excited about next year's Mythcon in Connecticut -- hey, maybe we can be
      Connecticut Mythies in King Arthur's Court. I'm sure Jessica will come up with a fabulous
      T-shirt since her Drunken Hobbit verse was about not having a new T-shirt this year. Oh,
      hon, it's so hard to top that one from 1995! (But hey, no pressure or anything -- grin!)

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2007
        >Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:

        And I thank you very kindly for it.

        Yes, yes, yes, I know there are reports on LiveJournal, but I seem to have become an old fogy who finds LJ terribly confusing and inconvenient (why are there all those links? why doesn't anybody just say who they are? who are all these people who have time to write all this stuff?). Okay, so I joined LJ just to join the Mythsoc "community" but I doubt I will ever have any kind of online presence there. Some days I think I'm doing pretty good just to answer my email. :-)

        You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living.

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Sara Ciborski
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
          I agree (about live journal). I would just express the hope that if a
          contributor to LJ offers there an opinion or perspective or
          information--anything of substance, originality, and (obviously) of
          mythsoc interest--that he or she post this also to the regular
          discussion group. Thanks.
          Sara Ciborski

          David Emerson wrote:
          >> Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:
          >>

          > And I thank you very kindly for it.
          >
          > Yes, yes, yes, I know there are reports on LiveJournal, but I seem to have become an old fogy who finds LJ terribly confusing and inconvenient (why are there all those links? why doesn't anybody just say who they are? who are all these people who have time to write all this stuff?). Okay, so I joined LJ just to join the Mythsoc "community" but I doubt I will ever have any kind of online presence there. Some days I think I'm doing pretty good just to answer my email. :-)
          >
          > You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living.
          >
          > emerdavid

        • Robin Reid
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
            Wow--is there a mythsoc group on LJ? Not just individual people over there?

            I'm robin_anne_reid on LJ, and would love to know where you all are!

            Robin

            _____

            David Emerson wrote:
            >> Since David Emerson asked for one, here it is:
            >>

            > And I thank you very kindly for it.
            >
            > Yes, yes, yes, I know there are reports on LiveJournal, but I seem to have
            become an old fogy who finds LJ terribly confusing and inconvenient (why are
            there all those links? why doesn't anybody just say who they are? who are
            all these people who have time to write all this stuff?). Okay, so I joined
            LJ just to join the Mythsoc "community" but I doubt I will ever have any
            kind of online presence there. Some days I think I'm doing pretty good just
            to answer my email. :-)

            > You'd never guess that I work with computers for a living.
            >
            > emerdavid

          • Ellen
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
              Robin,

              If you search on "mythopoeic society" in interests you will find several
              of us. And yes, there is now a group as of a few days ago.

              Ellen Denham (on lj as ellen_denham)

              Robin Reid wrote:

              > Wow--is there a mythsoc group on LJ? Not just individual people over
              > there?
              >
              > I'm robin_anne_reid on LJ, and would love to know where you all are!
              >
              > Robin
              >

              > _____

            • Cole C Matson
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
                Aha, so THAT'S a Mythcon! Further incentive to start saving my pennies.

                Thanks for the thorough (and thoroughly entertaining) report.

                Cole
              • Robin Reid
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
                  Cool--I will go do so and friend you back!

                  Robin

                  (because actually I'm much more likely to be participating on LJ than a
                  listserv)

                  _____

                  <http://www.peoplepc.com/> .com/

                  <http://www.mythsoc.org/> org/>> org
                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 12, 2007
                    Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.

                    They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal sites are
                    fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies. (And
                    sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going to last
                    year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
                    committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)

                    the Bratwife

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                      I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
                      big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
                      family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
                      with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
                      that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

                      And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
                      engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

                      Very special event...
                      -- Lynn --

                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Berni Phillips" <bernip@...> wrote:

                      > Hey, if I've made one person buy a Mythcon membership, I've done my job.
                      >
                      > They really are a lot of fun. Even ones with less than optimal
                      sites are
                      > fun because it gives you lots to bond over with your fellow Mythies.
                      (And
                      > sometimes they're better than you can imagine. I just dreaded going
                      to last
                      > year's: Oklahoma in August. Yet it was a great site, Janet and her
                      > committee did a wonderful job, and it was an outstanding Mythcon.)
                      >
                      > the Bratwife

                    • Ginger McElwee
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                        Lynn said:

                        >I've been thinking, once again, of what makes a Mythcon so special. A
                        >big part of it is the "family reunion" quality to it, heavy on the
                        >family members you really *love* seeing and never get enough time
                        >with, and just a dash of old weird uncle XYZ. I suspect part of it is
                        >that there's such a high percentage of people who are interconnected.

                        >And yet I think we are expansive about receiving new people and
                        >engaging with them (at least the interactions I see are welcoming).

                        I think you are right, Lynn. This was my third Mythcon, and I can speak to
                        both of your points. The people at Mythcon are amazingly friendly to new
                        people. You are so friendly and welcoming that after only three Mythcons, I
                        feel some of the "family reunion" quality. I love attending because the
                        people are great, and I always go home with a list of books I have somehow
                        missed.

                        Mythcon was really good this year. I especially liked the music (from
                        Beatles to Celtic) and the English Country dancing. From the papers and
                        panels, I was impressed with G. Ronald Murphy and with Diana Glyer. (Of
                        course with books like theirs to discuss, how could they go wrong?)

                        Thanks for all the hard work that went into this year's Mythcon.

                        Ginger McElwee

                      • Anthony and Jessica
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 13, 2007
                          Hey all,
                          What fabulous memories and thoughts on the whole of it, many thanks
                          Berni for the wonderful report, I will make sure Jessie reads it and
                          thoughts on T-shirts, I must agree with Lynn and all, and stress this
                          to newer mythies, this was our 3rd MythCon and since the 1st one we
                          attended in Nashville we have deep heartfelt ties to everyone, it is
                          as leaving an extended family when we sing the last songs at closing
                          ceremonies--since meeting everyone and getting to know them I find it
                          very hard to leave and wish we could do it all over again now rather
                          than in a year....well Lynn, Ellie and the Stewards made sure I will
                          want to do it again...hopefully by chairing MC 39 and the plans we are
                          working out for it will show either I am incredibly nuts or happy for
                          the job...I think a lil of both ;-)

                          Anthony