RE: [mythsoc] Mythcon 38 reports?

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 9, 2007
      The Mythopoeic Award winners this year are

      Patricia A. McKillip, Solstice Wood (Ace Books) Adult Fantasy

      Catherine Fisher, Corbenic (Greenwillow) Children's Fantasy

      Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (Houghton Mifflin, 2006) Scholarship in Inklings

      G. Ronald Murphy, S.J., Gemstone of Paradise: The Holy Grail in WolframÂ’s Parzival (Oxford University Press, 2006) Scholarship in Myth and Fantasy

      Ron Murphy was in attendance and gave us a wonderful presentation on Wolfram's critique of the Crusades in Parzival, complete with a miniature altar such as the ones used by the priests in the Holy Land. The other recipients sent their thanks to the committee and to the Mythopoeic Society for sponsoring myth and fantasy literature and scholarship.

      I'll let some of the others go into detail on the weekend, but we had several wonderful talks and readings with our two Guests of Honor, Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman. It was a very successful Mythcon, and kudos to the whole Berkeley team and to the presenters/artists for a job well done.

      David Oberhelman

      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 24, 2007
        Sorry folks; that should have gone to Ellie, not the list. Apologies
        all round.
        --JDR