If you're interested in fantasy films...

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2007
      _Fantasy Fiction into Film_, edited by Leslie Stratyner and James R.
      Keller, is now available from McFarland Press. It includes four essays
      on the Peter Jackson _Lord of the Rings_ (including my own "Three Rings
      for Hollywood" on earlier film scripts), two on the first Narnia film,
      and two on _Charlie and the Chocolate Factory_. The remaining essays
      deal with _Mary Poppins_, _Howl's Moving Castle_, _The Polar Express_,
      various incarnations of _The Wonderful Wizard of Oz_, _Peter Pan_, and
      _Practical Magic_.

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/

      Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
      http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html

      "Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the rising ape
      meets the falling angel." -Terry Pratchett

    • Robin Reid
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2007
        Hi Janet: Congratulations--I hadn't realized you had an essay in this
        project as well.

        I have one too--based in part on the presentation I did last year at Norman
        (there, I covered the second film; the essay covers all three) on comparing
        the grammar of Tolkien's nature writing with the cinematography of Jackson's
        film in equivalent scenes!

        I had a great Mythcon 38 and now fear I am hooked!

        Robin

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2007
          Hi Robin <waves>! And I didn't realize you were on this list or I would
          have mentioned it. I'm looking forward to reading your paper. Especially
          since I didn't get to go to any papers at the Norman Mythcon!

          Janet

          ________________________________

          jbcroft@... <mailto:jbcroft%40ou.edu>
          <http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/>
          http://libraries.ou.edu/ <http://libraries.ou.edu/>
          <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html>

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2007
            *waves back* I only joined a few months ago and have been mostly lurking
            because of being too darned busy. You guys are getting me hooked on
            Mythcon. It was fantastic this year at Berkeley!

            _____

            _Fantasy Fiction into Film_, edited by Leslie Stratyner and James R.
            Keller, is now available from McFarland Press. It includes four essays
            on the Peter Jackson _Lord of the Rings_ (including my own "Three Rings
            for Hollywood" on earlier film scripts), two on the first Narnia film,
            and two on _Charlie and the Chocolate Factory_. The remaining essays
            deal with _Mary Poppins_, _Howl's Moving Castle_, _The Polar Express_,
            various incarnations of _The Wonderful Wizard of Oz_, _Peter Pan_, and
            _Practical Magic_.

            Janet Brennan Croft

            Associate Professor
            Head of Access Services