Re: [mythsoc] MythCon dealer table

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2007
      Any rare and unusual books by or about Tolkien or the Inklings, or on myth and
      fantasy, would be welcome, certainly. Our people are more text readers than
      edition collectors, so a regular edition of an unusual book will perhaps be of
      more interest than a rare or unusual edition of The Lord of the Rings, but
      there's certainly room for interest in both.

      In fiction, our tastes in modern books is probably best judged by looking at
      the past nominees for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award at
      <http://mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html>. In general, we tend to like high fantasy
      (secondary-world or otherwise) with a mythic base to it, rather than the
      grotesque and horror that constitutes "fantasy" in many peoples' minds. But we
      also tend to ignore the big Tolclones. You won't find many Jordan or Eddings
      fans here.

      A few of our people will buy expensive books (rare or associational), but
      high-spending book collectors are few.

      That, at least, is my take on the Mythcon audience.

      David Bratman
      Chair, Mythcon 38