MythCon dealer table

  • Jeremy Edmonds
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2007
      Hi all,

      I have worked a plan with Tom to have a table in the dealer room for Saturday
      and Sunday. I'm not sure how much space I will end up with quite yet, but I am
      already trying to plan out what I will be able to show.

      Any recommendations on what you would like to see at my table? You can see a
      bit of what I have available at rowns.com but the online listings are woefully
      out of date now, so any suggestions (from broad categories to specific authors
      or titles) I will do my best to address.

      I can also change or supplement what I show between Saturday and Sunday, so if
      you swing by on Saturday be sure to let me know what you are looking for. I
      hope to see you all there!

      Jeremy

      --
      Rown's Books
      * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2007
        From: "Jeremy Edmonds" <jeremy@...>

        > I have worked a plan with Tom to have a table in the dealer room for
        > Saturday
        > and Sunday. I'm not sure how much space I will end up with quite yet, but
        > I am
        > already trying to plan out what I will be able to show.
        >
        > Any recommendations on what you would like to see at my table? You can
        > see a
        > bit of what I have available at rowns.com but the online listings are
        > woefully
        > out of date now, so any suggestions (from broad categories to specific
        > authors
        > or titles) I will do my best to address.

        I always think it's nice to have books by the guests who are at the
        conference. Of course I would expect to see Ellen Kushner's and Delia
        Sherman's works, as they're the guests of honor, but I know Susan Palwick,
        Madeleine Robins, Sherwood Smith, Ellen Klages, and some others are
        attending. (Ms. Palwick has a new book out that I'm hoping to buy. I
        believe it's called SHELTER. And I highly recommend Madeleine Robins' Sarah
        Tolerance books.) The MFA/MSA nominees should be in the dealers' room. I
        read Fr. Murphy's previous MSA-winning book and really enjoyed it. I think
        he has one on this year's Mythopoeic Scholarship Award list as well, and he
        is one of the attendees. (If you have the books, we can get them signed,
        too.)

        Hope that helps,
        Berni
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2007
          Any rare and unusual books by or about Tolkien or the Inklings, or on myth and
          fantasy, would be welcome, certainly. Our people are more text readers than
          edition collectors, so a regular edition of an unusual book will perhaps be of
          more interest than a rare or unusual edition of The Lord of the Rings, but
          there's certainly room for interest in both.

          In fiction, our tastes in modern books is probably best judged by looking at
          the past nominees for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award at
          <http://mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html>. In general, we tend to like high fantasy
          (secondary-world or otherwise) with a mythic base to it, rather than the
          grotesque and horror that constitutes "fantasy" in many peoples' minds. But we
          also tend to ignore the big Tolclones. You won't find many Jordan or Eddings
          fans here.

          A few of our people will buy expensive books (rare or associational), but
          high-spending book collectors are few.

          That, at least, is my take on the Mythcon audience.

          David Bratman
          Chair, Mythcon 38