RE: [mythsoc] Re: Postal Service Leaves Publishers in the Dark

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2007
      The general effect of the new postal regulations is to heap costs on all
      irregularly-sized items and those that cannot be automatically processed by
      machine. Since journals fall in that category, it will only accelerate the
      move towards web-only publication.

      This won't help a physically large journal like Mythlore, but a bulletin
      that's used to being mailed as a flat, like Mythprint, was formerly cheaper
      that way than as first-class letter mail but is now more expensive: much
      more expensive. If I understand this correctly, such a one-to-two ounce
      bulletin could now save 20 to 40 cents per copy by the simple expedient of
      folding itself up and hiding inside a letter-sized envelope.

      At 08:48 AM 7/27/2007 -0500, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

      From all I can tell, it went into effect with none of the complaints
      having any effect at all. But I haven't seen any discussion or analysis
      posted since the 15th, so I guess most small publishers have just
      gritted their teeth, raised prices, and gotten on with it. Too bad.
      The other magazine I edit, _Oklahoma Librarian_, has had to cut its size
      to 8 pages and change its format. We're seriously considering going to
      two tiers of publication - the paper version being a sort of teaser for
      the web version.

      At this point we do plan to keep _Mythlore_ a print-only publication,
      though we have raised prices starting in September. (We're still in line
      with other small literary criticism journals - I looked at a number of
      similar publications before proposing the increase.) We'll be watching
      this closely, and I will be discussing this with our mailing service as
      I put the next issue together. We've already gone to lighter-weight
      paper, and if they have any other suggestions I'll see what might be
      feasible.
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2007
        That's what we had to do with Oklahoma Librarian - instead of mailing it
        flat, we now fold it in half. No envelope required, at least at this
        point.

        Janet