Re: Postal Service Leaves Publishers in the Dark

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2007
      Er, Janet, how did this turn out? I opt not to get group messages
      in my e-mail, preferring to read them at the group archives, where
      they normally appear the same day they are sent, anyway. But this
      message only posted to the group's archives yesterday, the 26th,
      apparently two weeks after you sent it.

      >>---"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
      >>Many of you on this list are subscribers to Mythlore, Mythprint,
      or Mythic Circle, and probably other small journals like Beyond
      Bree, CSL, or Seven. I'd like to ask you to consider taking a
      moment to sign this petition about the upcoming rate increases...
      and the rates go up next Monday...

      Service from implementing an unfair rate hike. A deadline is now
      looming.
      >>On July 16, we will be hit with a postage rate increase that
      threatens to push many small and independent publications out of
      print. With just days to go until the increase, the United States
      Postal Service still has not released the software needed...
    • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27, 2007
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27, 2007
          From all I can tell, it went into effect with none of the complaints
          having any effect at all. But I haven't seen any discussion or analysis
          posted since the 15th, so I guess most small publishers have just
          gritted their teeth, raised prices, and gotten on with it. Too bad.
          The other magazine I edit, _Oklahoma Librarian_, has had to cut its size
          to 8 pages and change its format. We're seriously considering going to
          two tiers of publication - the paper version being a sort of teaser for
          the web version.

          At this point we do plan to keep _Mythlore_ a print-only publication,
          though we have raised prices starting in September. (We're still in line
          with other small literary criticism journals - I looked at a number of
          similar publications before proposing the increase.) We'll be watching
          this closely, and I will be discussing this with our mailing service as
          I put the next issue together. We've already gone to lighter-weight
          paper, and if they have any other suggestions I'll see what might be
          feasible.

          Janet

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27, 2007
            The general effect of the new postal regulations is to heap costs on all
            irregularly-sized items and those that cannot be automatically processed by
            machine. Since journals fall in that category, it will only accelerate the
            move towards web-only publication.

            This won't help a physically large journal like Mythlore, but a bulletin
            that's used to being mailed as a flat, like Mythprint, was formerly cheaper
            that way than as first-class letter mail but is now more expensive: much
            more expensive. If I understand this correctly, such a one-to-two ounce
            bulletin could now save 20 to 40 cents per copy by the simple expedient of
            folding itself up and hiding inside a letter-sized envelope.

            At 08:48 AM 7/27/2007 -0500, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

            From all I can tell, it went into effect with none of the complaints
[...]

          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 27, 2007
              That's what we had to do with Oklahoma Librarian - instead of mailing it
              flat, we now fold it in half. No envelope required, at least at this
              point.

              Janet