Re: Slide Rules are Computers

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 20, 2007
      oooh, that I did not know! Did it refer to typists or typesetters or ???

      -- Lynn --

      > So did typewriter!
      >

      > Janet
      >
      > ________________________________

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 23, 2007
        Typists - young ladies would learn to be typewriters, when it was one of
        the few occupations open to them!

        Janet

        ________________________________

        "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

        > So did typewriter!
        >

        > Janet
        >
        > ________________________________
        >
        > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
        > shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...
        >
        > -- Lynn --
        >
        > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        > Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Mike & MS:
        > >
        > > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
        > >
        > > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
        > > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
        > > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
        > > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
        > > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
        > > an important tool.)
        > >
        > > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
        > > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
        > > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
        > > day.
        > >
        > > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
        > > green Earth
        > > even as we speak.
        > >
        > > Bonnie
        > > ************
        > >

        > > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > I once had an engineering student in an English
        > > > composition class a few
        > > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
        > > > rule was. It might
        > > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
        > > > I explained how the
        > > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
        > > > askew.

      • Bonnie Callahan
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 15, 2010
          Hi Mythconites:

          You may derive some creative energy from viewing this site:

          http://myfoodlooksfunny.com/

          See y'all in Dallas! Bonnie