Re: Slide Rules are Computers

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 19, 2007
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan
      <bonolatm@...> wrote:

      > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
      > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel,
      but
      > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the
      '50s.
      > (My father was an aerospace engineer

      Bonnie, that sounds a lot like the standard military
      pilot's computer my father had a few of (50s-60s)- I
      think I still have one somewhere. It was used to
      calculate time/distance/airspeed/fuel consumption.
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 20, 2007
        oooh, that I did not know! Did it refer to typists or typesetters or ???

        -- Lynn --

        > So did typewriter!
        >

        > Janet
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 23, 2007
          Typists - young ladies would learn to be typewriters, when it was one of
          the few occupations open to them!

          Janet

          ________________________________

          "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

          > So did typewriter!
          >

          > Janet
          >
          > ________________________________
          >
          > From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
          > shoot, "computer" used to be a job title...
          >
          > -- Lynn --
          >
          > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          > Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Mike & MS:
          > >
          > > This message caught my eye. Here's why:
          > >
          > > I've been culling stuff from my father's estate. I
          > > found what looked like a proportional scale wheel, but
          > > it was labelled "Computer". It dated back to the '50s.
          > > (My father was an aerospace engineer who devised
          > > gadgets for the Apollo flights, & this must have been
          > > an important tool.)
          > >
          > > The device seemed to serve as a slide rule on some
          > > levels. Interesting that a plastic hand-held
          > > calculating device was called a "computer" back in the
          > > day.
          > >
          > > Makes me feel like we're walking in legends on the
          > > green Earth
          > > even as we speak.
          > >
          > > Bonnie
          > > ************
          > >

          > > --- Mike Foster <mafoster@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I once had an engineering student in an English
          > > > composition class a few
          > > > years ago ask me, in all seriousness, what a slide
          > > > rule was. It might
          > > > as well have been runes, for his bemused response.
          > > > I explained how the
          > > > tiniest twitch could throw one's calculations wildly
          > > > askew.

        • Bonnie Callahan
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 15, 2010
            Hi Mythconites:

            You may derive some creative energy from viewing this site:

            http://myfoodlooksfunny.com/

            See y'all in Dallas! Bonnie